Sunday, March 19, 2006

Knitters for peace

So I didn't get any knitting done yesterday, because instead I went to the peace rally and march here in Chicago, commemorating the third anninversary of the war in Iraq. Seven thousand of us marched down the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Avenue) shouting, "This is what democracy looks like!" That's me on the right, above, with one of my best friends, Karen, who unfortunately is not a knitter.

But I think it makes sense that knitters should also care about peace. Knitting is, after all, a very peaceful, even meditative, activity that seems to be antithetical to violence. And apparently I'm not the only knitter who thinks so. There have been some Knitters for Peace groups around the country, and Cafe Press offers a "Knitters for Fleece ... err ... Peace" T-shirt with a sheep who's got a sign that says, "I eat Bushes for dinner!"

In previous generations women at home knit socks and other items for soldiers fighting abroad. There are some projects doing that for soldiers in Iraq as well. But we also can knit for peace. My mom brought her knitting to the School of the Americas protest a few years ago. There's a lot of down time at protests, so it's good to have a small project to bring along. Just don't wave those sharp needles in front of any police officers in SWAT gear.

No comments: