Friday, March 24, 2006

Yarn in the mail


Yesterday I received some Galway in the mail that I ordered from Ebay. Ebay is great for someone like me, who doesn't have a car. I've been doing lots of Ebay shopping lately, as I've decided to add to my "Heidi" book collection, which previously consisted of a couple antique books my mom passed on to me and a few I bought overseas, including one in the Cyrlic alphabet from Serbia. After spending a whole afternoon browsing an antique mall in Saugatuck, Michigan a few weeks ago while on my "writing weekend," I decided to add to my collection. After perusing shelves and shelves of musty old books, I thought, "There must be a better way," then had an "Aha" moment and realized "Ebay!" And, of course, I found hundreds of cool "Heidi" books listed there. So I've been busy adding some new and antique editions to my collection. (You'd be amazed how many different version of this book there are!)

So every couple days I get a book or two, plus one book seller also had an awesome vintage fur jacket with mink collar that I couldn't resis for $10+shipping. And then I ordered this Galway, a heather green, #738. It was advertised as 7+ skeins and cost $30 w/shipping. I was surprised when I opened the package and saw that not only was it 10+ skeings, but the seller had started knitting something (a sweater maybe?) and must have given up. She sent the half-used skein and her failed project. So I'll unravel it and knit it into something nice and felted. Not sure yet. Or maybe I should try a real wool sweater? My first?

I also hit Joann's last Sunday when Ed and I had a neighbor's car for the day. I needed an extra skein of Pattons Allure in Emerald to add to the dark sage green felted purse that is close to done. While there, I also bought some really pretty Sensations Majesty, a pretty pink/purple (MSD-18) ribbon yarn with silver metallic flecks to math the purple Galway (#13) in my stash. It should make a pretty purse.

2 comments:

Snowhite said...

Do you still have the Gallway 738 wool? If you haven't used it, would you consider selling it?

Heidi said...

Hi, snowhite, I can't respond to your comment because I don't have an email address for you. But yes, I have the yarn and would be willing to sell it. How much do you need? I still have it all. Email me at schlumpfh (at) claretians (dot) org.