Sunday, April 09, 2006

So close...


See those needles, the ones with 9/10ths of a bootie on them? I need literally only a few yards of yarn to finish this whole set. So after I buy another ball, I'll have enough for something else. Maybe a matching teddy bear. I've been seeing so many cute knitted toys on knitting blogs. (Aside: I'm almost sure those Size 8 needles are Bakelite, given to me by my mom. They're actually not that easy to knit with, despite making me feel very retro while using them.)

The yarn is Lion Brand Watercolors in Aqua. It's a wool-blend boucle that does sort of resemble a Monet painting. I bought a few skeins at the Joann clearance sale, then bought a few more at full price to do this "One-Stitch Baby Sweater" from a free patttern on the Lion Brand site. I especially like the pocket detail. This is my first set-in sleeve sweater, and initially I sewed them on way too tight. Then it sat for a month, but one enterprising evening I decided to undo those sleeves and sew them on more loosely. In the meantime I also made a matching hat and started the booties, also from a free Lions pattern.

Despite this being "craft store" yarn, it's really pretty, and I intially thought I was making this sweater for my daughter, whom my husband and I are adopting from China (expected arrival date: next January or February, roughly). But I quickly realized the sweater was more of a six-month size, and our Sophie will be closer to a year when we get her. As I was knitting the hat and booties, I decided it would be for a friend who is expecting. I may knit Sophie a pink one in a larger size.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Who taught you to knit? It must be someone with a lot of talent.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. This happened to me once and I couldn't find any yarn to match. Good luck!

tocspaw said...

Hang on to it - two sets of friends brought home their little girls last month - one was 12 mos and the other was 10 mos, and both were wearing 6 mos clothes...when is your LID?