Thursday, April 27, 2006

(Un)felted fortune cookie

Ta-da! I finished the first of what I hope to be many Felted Fortune Cookies (the above is pre-felting). You've never heard of knitting a fortune cookie? Well, expand your horizons: Knitting blogger IndigoMuse has created this awesome pattern, which is basically a circle, knit in continuous pie-shaped wedges, which you then felt and fold like a fortune cookie. Brilliant!

Although she recommended 11-12 wedges, I did 18 here for the large size. I used Lion Brand Wool in Winter White just as a sample. I didn't slip the stitches on the outside edge, as she suggested, so we'll see how that looks post-felting.

For those of you who know my husband and I are adopting a child from China, you might be able to guess that I have this grand idea to make a bunch of these to use in some way when she arrives. But this did take longer than I thought it would (maybe I should have stuck to 11-12 wedges). May need to call on Grandma for help if I expect to do a bunch.

No comments: