Monday, May 29, 2006

Felting batch


Happy Memorial Day. How sad to hear of the deaths of the CBS news guys on this day for remembering fallens soldiers. As a journalist, it shocks me that between 94 and 120 journalists and media support staff -- including drivers and translators -- have been killed in Iraq since the war began in 2003.

Like most Americans, I spent this weekend kicking off summer, with barbecues and picnics. Since our new decks are not yet finished, we joined some fellow condo owners in our parking lot to barbecue on Friday night. Yesterday my husband and I took the train to the 'burbs for a cookout with my sister's family.

While there, I used her top-loading washing to do a batch of felting, which you can see drying on my bedroom window ledge. I felted a pair of purple mittens, one of my signature pink purses and my first sample for the fortune cooking project. The mittens turned out great (Galway wool felts so well). The purse felted well, too, but I wasn't happy with the magnetic clasp I put in. I thought it would felt in more, plus it's just too magnetic (it says a strength rating of 8 out of 10 on the package), so it's hard to pull it apart. I think I'm going to remove it. I don't know if they come in less-strong versions. Does anyone have any experience using these magnetic clasps on felted purses?

The fortune cookie ended up bigger than I expected. It's about 6 inches in diameter, and I was thinking it would be more like life-sized. I used the large-size pattern. I think I'll try the small one.

3 comments:

Rae said...

I love the purse! Do you sell them? You could probably make a bundle taking them to boutiques. I've thought about this for baby clothes, but then I remember knitting is for *fun*, not work. ;)

Can't help on the magnets - hope you find some that work.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»