Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Mistake handled (get it?)

The knitting lesson for this week is: the nice thing about felting is that you can refelt. To recap for those who are just joining us, I knit two really cool felted purses, which I felted over Easter at my mom's. Once home, I realized I had attached the handles incorrectly--going across the purse rather than along the same side. Drat!


To fix them, I cut the handles near the middle (where they would be resting on your shoulder), then stitched them to the other half from the correct side (are you following me?) and refelted that little section by hand in my sink, using boiling water and two wooden spoons to "agitate." It's not perfect, as you can see from the closeup, but it does the trick and salvages the purse. Otherwise you really couldn't carry them.

The spiritual lesson from this project: Life doesn't always turn out the way you thought it would, but there's usually some way to make things work if you're willing take the risk.

3 comments:

Rae said...

It's knitting improvisation, and it worked! I made the same mistake once and detatched at the bottom of the strap.

I love your approach and attitude about it. It will take you far in life.

heather said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog - so glad you got the handles issue worked out!

Mary said...

It looks like the felting turned out well. Do you think you could felt something without the washing machine? I still have not felted anything in my new GE Profile, but have programmed a cycle for felting. I just used the hottest water, the longest cycle and the fastest agitation. I am waiting for a book by Iris Schreier called Modular Knits and then I will be making another bag for felting. The library in Pewaukee is supposed to be getting it for me on inter-library loan and the only library in WI that has it is in Door County. It has been three weeks and I am going to go there on Monday and see what is taking so long.