Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Knitting reading

Visiting my mom's house is like taking a trip to the knitting library. Not only does she have a huge selection of knitting books, all the newest mags, as well as all her old ones, she also has a color copier so I can "borrow" her patterns. While visiting last weeked, I read a couple months worth of Simply Knitting, a newish magazine out of the UK. It's a nice, colorful, well-designed magazine (a magazine editor notices these things!) with some cool patterns. I copied a pretty Autumn Walks coat, some bootie patterns, and an Oriental Bag from the October 2005 issue, and a wine bottle cozy (I know, do we really need this? But it could be a nice gift) from the January 2006 issue. I also paged through an old issue of Family Circle Easy Knit, which has been renamed Knit Simple. I found patterns for a cute baby sweater and hat, a clutch putse, felted bowls, and decorative flowers. Look for all of these things in the near or not-so-near future!

I also found a couple of books to add to my knitting-books-to-read list (and to my wish-I'd-written-that list!) Mindful Knitting: Inviting Contemplative Practice to the Craft and Compassionate Knitting: Finding Basic Goodness in the Work of Our Hands are both by Tara Jon Manning and published by Tuttle (2004 and 2005, respectively). Manning connects the Buddhist practice of mindfulness and meditation with the practice of knitting. These books contain reflections on this, as well as pattnerns to put them into practice. I can't wait to see what she says. At least she hasn't written Spiritual Knitting yet! Maybe that will be my next book. (Writing update: I did write over 3,000 words last weekend, almost a whole chapter.)

I'm going to order Mindful Knitting and Compassionate Knitting from half.com, a great site (now owned by ebay) that sells new and used books at bargain prices. I get most of my books there, even new ones for gifts. Check it out. And don't forget to check out my book blog. I've posted a few new reviews there.

2 comments:

aunt pat said...

the fortune cookiedid originate in China--as told to me by Mary Kinney who has an adopped Chinese child,about 6 yrs old.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»