Monday, July 17, 2006

Namaste

Off to yoga class! Actually this is a posed photo of me pretending to go to yoga class with my new yoga bag, which I knit with the pattern from Stitch'n'Bitch Nation. It is a definite improvement over the old Urban Outfitters bag I was using.

This is my first foray into lace knitting, and I think it turned out pretty well, although I did find it a bit repetitive. It took me a couple of weeks because I kept putting it down.

Here's my summary:

Pattern: Om Yoga Mat Bag from Stitch'n'Bitch Nation
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton, 1 skein Morning Glory Blue #108
Needles: Wood Size 8
Changes to pattern: Only took one skein of yarn, not two as pattern says. Was confused at first about whether lace was knit with one strand or two (pattern not clear) but search on craftster.org confirmed it was one strand. Made strap 26 inches instead of 29. I haven't added the drawstring cord yet.
What I liked: learning lace, pattern was easy to memorize
What I didn't: It was complicated enough to not be "mindless" knitting but not interesting enough to keep my attention
Cost: Less than $2. Cheap!
Spiritual lesson: Knitting is not quite as meditative as yoga, but almost! It's great to combine the two in this way.

2 comments:

Rae said...

What a great bag! I love how practical it is while having that personal touch of making it yourself. Very nice.

patsy said...

Don't know where you find the time for all the things you do. I love reading your blog