Friday, August 11, 2006

In Stitches


That's me with (from left) my mom and fellow Wisconsin knitters Marge, Carrie and Jean at the Stitches Midwest knitting and yarn convention Friday at the Rosemont convention center here in Chicago. The woman from the "Yarn Lady" booth was nice enough to take our photo in front of her many yarns for sale.

As I was on a self-imposed yarn diet, I was restrained. I only bought two thing: a cool leather handle for a felted bag, and two skeins of hand-dyed pink sock yarn, one of which I had exchanged for a green/blue I had bought last year. Since my mom already made Sophie a sweater out of the green, I decide to do a pink one in a larger size. That yarn is from Tess' Designer Yarns in Maine. I still have the skein of ribbon yarn I bought from her last year too.

My mom also bought me some cool wool for a felted purse in this cool green/blue/purple combo. The pattern for the purse is the Denise Bag by Cat Bordhi. It's a clutch with a zippered pocket.

Other cool finds:
* The book Simple Knits for Cherished Babies by Erika Knight. Nice top-down sweaters and gorgeous photography.
* Adorable kits (for kids and a lovely adult bolero) from AffectionKnit. All you China adopting parents will love the Ladybug Sweater for kids.
* The coolest $14 heart-shaped silver metal purse clasp from The Gifted Purl, a store in West Dundee, Illinios. But they were out of them. Drat.

My mom also got a cute pattern for bunny slippers for kids and a really cool kit for a beaded necklace and bracelet. I want to try that next. All in all, it was a really enjoyable afternoon, with lots of creative ideas and cool yarns. After a long day of shopping, we all enjoyed a nice dinner at a nearby hotel. Thanks, mom!

2 comments:

tocspaw said...

I'm so jealous you got to go! I'm going to try and make Stitches West in 2007. My husband has already committed to go as long as there is a bar nearby where he can get a reprieve from frantic fiber fanatics.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi:

I'm clueless-are ladybugs something special in China? Please fill me in.

Amy