Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Four little kittens have lost their mittens...


During most of the summer, there was a part of me that thought I might be doing my Christmas shopping in Vietnam, so I didn't spend any time pondering a possible idea for all the people on my list (aunts, godparents, godchildren's families, really close friends) whom I usually send a small handmade gift. I have about 15-20 of them. Last year I made these cool coasters out of tiles that I stamped on. (I'll have to get a photo to post.) When I'm smart, I get started on those gifts in late summer or early fall.

Well, I know for sure that I will not be in Vietnam before Christmas; in fact, I'd be lucky if I'm there before NEXT Christmas (feeling negative today). So this weekend I started thinking Christmas. I decided it'd be fun to knit something, but what to give a whole family (so can't be an individual item of clothing)? And what wouldn't take too long to knit? I decided on an ornament and eventually picked a mitten, since they are so darn cute. I found a few pattersn on the internet, including one super-mini one knit on dpns. It's the one on the far right. Then I altered the pattern to make it bigger and got the one on the left. On my third try, I got the second smallest, and eventually perfected it with pretty red wool on Try #4.

The plan is to knit two, and attach them with tiny I-cord so it looks like the mittens on a string you had when you were a kid so you didn't lose them. If you do the math, that means I have about 40 mittens to knit in the next couple months. But no worries: it only takes me about an hour or so to do one. Although I do suspect I'll get quite bored after awhile. I can alway switch to baby sweaters...

That reminds me: When I was borrowing my mom's computer I saw this link on her favorites: OrganizedChristmas.com. Here's a countdown to Christmas: only 101 days!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Heidi, that wasn't my link--that was your dad's!
Love, Mom