Saturday, September 30, 2006

Score!

You know when you buy something at a garage sale and you're not quite sure it's going to fit, but you decide to take a chance, because, hey, it's only a few bucks. Then you get home and it doesn't really fit, or you discover the zipper is broken, or there's a big stain you missed. Well, today was NOT one of those days!

At the second of three garage sales I hit today I found a gorgeous, J Crew, tags-still-on-it (regular $135, on sale $49.99) dress. This dress is so me: strapless black satin sheath with a wide pink satin ribbon around the waist and bow. (Someday, when I get to have a craft room/office I want it to be pink and black with posters of Audrey Hepburn, especially from Breakfast at Tiffany's.) Anyway, it was a size 4, but not a petite, and she wanted $5 but I got down to $4. Then I got home and it fits me like it was custom made for me. I could hardly contain myself! And we have a wedding next weekend that I wasn't sure what to wear to. Problem solved. Here's a photo of me wearing it with the armoire that it took me two years to find in the background. Finally found it at Room and Board. I love that place.

So my other finds of the day pale in comparison but I'll share them anyway: At Sale #2, I also got a box of funky, vintage-look cards for $2 and a bamboo-type purse handle for $1. At the final sale I stopped at, I got about a dozen sage green binders for $1. They seem old; the cover feels like leather but it's not. I hope to organize something in them. Not sure what, but couldn't pass them up for the price, and I like the green color.

Finally, at my first sale, dubbed an "estate sale" on Craig's List though it really wasn't, I got some nice jewelry: this really long strand of jet beads (my mom has a similar one, I think, and I got some matching earrings from her) and a pair of silver and blue stone earrings. Total: $5. Sorry the picture is so blurry. So, all in all, a pretty successful day. I think I spent $15 total, including the $2 Starbucks coffee. And I have a new favorite dress.

8 comments:

Mary said...

Great dress--just a couple of more pounds and I can borrow it from you. The jet beads are nice. I think they are worth a lot of $ at antique stores. I like mine. Should wear them more often.

Love, Mom

Creative Genius? said...

Oh you look terrific and amazing in that dress!!!! WOW!!!

Rae said...

doncha love finds like that! Amazing price - and you still bargained. I need to borrow you to come shopping with me. ~laugh~

Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

I love you, Heidi! Just want you to know I'm thinking of you.

xo Kristi

Renee said...

That dress is adorable! What a great find! You're tiny--I think I wore a size 4 in 8th grade. :-)

Apron Thrift Girl said...

I cannot believe that dress. And aren't you the negotiator to knock off a dollar. Also, I think your idea for a pink and black craft room is amazing. And so original.

jungle dream pagoda said...

Wow,Heidi
you look terrific in that dress!Score!Obviously ,my oldest daughter and I are big Audrey fans too.Lucky you to have a craft room!

Rebecca said...

That dress is gorgeous! You look amazing in it. What a fabulous find. All of your finds are great, I do love those jet beads, too!