Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Thrifty me

In keeping with the Christmas theme, I thought I'd share this new/old (new to me, probably dating to the 50s?) Christmas apron. Let me tell you the story of how I came to buy an old apron.

The past several months I have been really depressed. Our adoption has has lots of problems (and even those of you who don't read my adoption blog are probably tired of this same old story). Anyway, one of the things that takes my mind off of all this is knitting--and creative endeavors in general. I remember when I was going through my divorce, so many years ago, I sought the help of a counselor who asked me to name things I enjoyed doing that might help me survive the pain. Crafting was one of them, but it was also one of the things my ex-husband said made me "boring." As you can see, he's now gone. And I'm still crafting.

The problem is I've been so &*^% busy with work that I haven't had much time for creativity (and not even much creativity at work either, as I'm doing more "managing" than "editor" these days). Last month, I decided to try to change some of that. I took a few Fridays off and worked on a scrapbook (my first!) of our pictures from France. It's not done yet, but it felt great!

Then last weekend I decided to start a Christmas craft (see post below). In the process of trying to find a knit mitten ornament on the Internet, I happened upon a blog that was a combination of crafting and thrifting. I was hooked! I read for hours and hours, using her links and more links. You know how that goes?

Just like when I first discovered knitting blogs, I found this incredible, seemingly endless community of super creative women. That first blog was Thrifty Goodness. She's listed at a new set of links at right, which I'm sure I will be addding to. Others include My house is cuter than yours, Wee wonderfuls, Vacuuming in high heels and pearls (I especially love her Vintage pillowcase dress for little girls), The art of finding, Thift Shop Project, Soulemama and Apron Thrift Girl.

One thing I love about these women is how they embrace their domesticity. Now, the feminist in me has a healthy fear of domesticity, but I also love the domestic arts (except cooking. That one hasn't stuck yet). Most of these women are stay-at-home moms, which I don't plan on doing, but many of them are doing their crafts as a business. They inspire me.

So yesterday, when I had a really bad day, adoption-wise, I decided to go hit a thrift shop. Now I already have tons of shall we say "vintage" items in my home, most of them "purchased" from my grandmother's closet and basement. I'll post more of those in the days to come. But I haven't really done die-hard thrifting in awhile. So I stopped at thift shop near church on the way to my parish council meeting and found this cool apron. The shop is going out of business so everything was 50% off, so I got it for $1. YEA! I also got this not-so-vintage Ann Taylor leather purse for $8.

So look for some more posts on my vintage finds. I'm so inspired by these creative women who take old fabric and make it into funky new things for themselves, their children, and their homes. The domestic goddess has been released!

1 comment:

jungle dream pagoda said...

Yum Yum Yum,vintage x-mas is my fave!