Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Gratitude

If the only prayer you say in your whole life is "thank you," that would suffice. (13th-century mystic Meister Eckhart)

Don't you hate it when you compose a really nice post and then blogger eats it? That happened to me last night, after I wrote about how grateful I was for my first swap. However, today I have something even more important to be grateful for: my Vietnam adoption agency got licensed. WOO-HOO! We've been waiting three months for this and now it's official. We are adopting from Vietnam and our paperwork was sent off to the Vietnamese embassy today. We're still probably about six months away from bringing home Samuel, but we're officially in line now. Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive of my depression and who have been praying for us. Now, back to the swap...


What I wrote last night was that now I understand why all you bloggers get so excited about swaps and gush over the gifts you receive. I had been avoiding joining any because it seemed like another thing to add to my to-do list. But then Rebecca at Thrifty Goodness organized a craft supplies swap, and I decided this would be a good way to share my stash with someone who might appreciate it. I got paired with Lucy of Sweet Repeats. You can read about all the stuff I sent her here.

When I received my package from Lucy on Monday, I realized I have a lot to learn about swaps. Not only did she beautifully wrap and arrange all the stuff, but I was pampered from the first moment I opened the box with the smell of yummy potpourri she included. She also wrote a really nice personal note.

Lucy was so incredibly generous, I was really moved to tears. She not only included all kinds of stuff from her stash but went out and bought me new stuff, including this book that I have been trying to buy on half.com for a month! You must be psychic, Lucy! (I am also coveting Erika Knight's other book for babies, for anyone who needs ideas for Christmas gifts for me.)

She really tailored my gifts to me, including papercraft stuff because I'm just getting into that and the book and yarn to knit for a little one. I was so touched that a stranger (well, we're not strangers anymore!) would do this for me. I guess I'm really starting to get the generosity and caring that exists on this craft blog community.


Then, as if that weren't enough, I got a package later in the afternoon from Rebecca, who sent me two very cool vintage knitting books, a thrifted dish towel (in the background) and some knit scrapbooking decorations. Thank you so much, Rebecca.

For the record, here's all the stuff from Lucy:

  1. Simple Knits for Little Cherubs book. My favorite!
  2. Two skeins yellow Bernat cotton yarn. Very soft.
  3. Three pair knitting needles (including some sizes I didn't have)
  4. Five pieces pink and floral fabric
  5. Cute welcome sign
  6. Embroidery thread
  7. Vintage seam binding and wooden buttons
  8. Roll of pink ribbon
  9. Wooden Santa ready for painting
  10. Wool roving (I've always wanted to try felting with that)
  11. Creative cards
  12. Laura Ashley gift tags, stickers and other ephemera for scrapbooking
  13. Yummy smelling Fresh Scents stuff
  14. Recipe for Pumpkin Bread with Coconut Pudding (I love pumpkin. Doesn't that sound good?)

So today I am grateful for so many things. Our long-awaited good news, to be sure, but also for all the people, here and in blogland, who have been cheering for me during this hard time. And to Lucy and Rebecca for their generosity and for introducing me to the beautiful practice of swapping. Don't be surprised if I sign up for the Vintage Christmas Swap...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank gosh!!! I am so happy to hear the good news and will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers until Sam and Sophie are home at last! I am thrilled to hear you are one step closer!

Please continue to keep us posted!

:-) AL

Rebecca said...

Yeah! I'm thrilled that your agency is licensed and you are on your way! :)

I'm glad your swap was so fab! Lucy is great! (we knew that) And I've been eying that knitting book myself! :)

Also glad you liked the few things I sent. Just a few thank yous for joining the swap!

Anonymous said...

Heidi--I'm so pleased to hear your good news on the adoption agency!!! I will continue to keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers that things continue along smoothely.

I'm also so glad to hear that you enjoyed the swap and all the goodies. I went to a very nice locally owned luxury yarn store you can find here: http://www.bellafilati.com/
One of the managers helped me pick the book out, it was between the one you got and the one you want for Christmas!!! How concidental is that??

I'm glad you had a good first experience swapping and enjoy the practice from time to time from here on out. :)

....aww Rebecca,thanks for the kind words, too :)

Lucy

jungle dream pagoda said...

I am so happy for you and Samuel!

Your swap goodies look delish!