Sunday, October 29, 2006

Replanting

To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under the sun. A time to be born and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted... (Ecclesiastes 3:1-1)


One of the projects on my to-do list this weekend was to repot out houseplants. Some jade plants had gotten too big for the study, so I transferred them to larger pots and moved them to the top of the armoire in the living room (since they don't have to be watered very often, they can be up high). I transfered the plant from the top of the armoire to one of the light green pots for the study/nursery and planted the flower from my cousin's daughter Katie's party into the other. Meanwhile, my neighbor was outside pruning back our dead summer flowers, so I helped her with that. She has the real green thumb. Finally, my big herb pot, which unfortunately froze a few weeks ago before I brought it inside, was divided into three smaller pots to see if they'd make it through winter on the windowsill (see above: oregano, chives and sage. Alas, all my basil froze.)


That led to this craft project. After cleaning all the crap out of the windowsill, I realized it would be nice to set these pots on place mat or something. When nothing I owned fit, I decided to make my own. This fabric is left over from the valence in the study (which will hopefully soon be changed to something more nursery-like). I love the fall colors, which match our kitchen/living room, and the leaf pattern. Fall is my favorite season and the above scripture quote has always inspired me. (We had it at our wedding, in fact.)

Anyway, so I stitched this up, using the thrifted wool blanket as a backing. Just turned under the edges and hemmed, then decided to "machine quilt" along the lines in the pattern. It only took a half hour and will protect that sill under the plants. It feels good to have all our living things ready for the upcoming winter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I love that scripture verse, too. Thanks for posting it. The circle of life, it's so true....everything has it's season. Have no fear, your basil will come back. I've tormented mine many seasons and like a stubborn hair..lol..it kept growing back. You can probably cut it way back and just give it some love and you see it bloom to life again.

I'm glad you received your packagea and liked everything, especially the book. I was hoping you didn't have it.

Hugs,

LJ :)

Rebecca said...

I love that verse myself. :) I have a black thumb and envy you those fabulous plants. Maybe someday I'll have areal yard and give it a whirl.

I love your "placemat" too! I wish I could just whip somehting up but I am still having so many problems getting my sewing machine to like me. :(

take care!