Thursday, October 05, 2006

Virgin designer

It's out! The fall "issue" of For the Love of Yarn posted yesterday, and it included my design for the Mini Mitten ornaments (Scroll over the box in the upper left-hand corner that says "Knit designs"). My mom was my test knitter, and my art director from work took the very professional photos.

Even though I write for a living and my stuff has been published all over for about 15 years, this was pretty exciting for me. I've never designed anything before and shared it with others. And I guess, deep down, there's a part of me that wonders, "Could I do this for a (part-time) living some day?" There's a dream. Being a managing editor isn't that creative these days, which if probably why I've started crafting like crazy again. I need to get my creativity out somehow.

There are some other great patterns in For the Love of Yarn, including a really funky purse decorated with knitted spirals, which I'd like to try. Someday I hope to be able to knit something as complicated as this peace jacket. I also was inspired by this article about freeform knitting (though I haven't done any of it yet.)

This online 'zine was created by Allison, whose blog happens to be the first knitting blog I ever read. Allison is expecting her first child, and all her loyal readers have been excitedly following all her new ventures. Thanks, Allison, for giving me the share this pattern with more than the dozen people who read my blog. (For the Love of Yarn has an email list of over 2,000.)

4 comments:

Noreen Ann Jenkins said...

Congratulations. Believe in your dreams and live your dreams. I'm living proof that dreams do happen. My dream was to be a published author and poetess and several years later, my dream became reality. On February 3,2006
I signed a contract with Publish America to have my book of poetry published. Now it is available for purchase all over the world. My book of poetry is titled, "You'll Learn to Love Me".
You gotta believe in your dreams and believe in yourself.
Noreen Ann Jenkins

Rebecca said...

Congrats! I think if you want to do this, you can. Think positive! I love your mini mittens, I have a thing for Christmas decorations especially home made ones. I'll be making a pair! :)

Anonymous said...

I already subscribe to the magazine. Will look it up when I get home. Aunt Pat does not have your home phone number and keeps trying to call you at your work number. Could you call her? Her number is 715-495-2746.

Love, Mom

Paula said...

Congratulations Heidi! Your mittens are really cute. I'm a beginning knitter, but will save the pattern for next year. Would be so cute on a garland!