Wednesday, November 01, 2006

First rule of thrifting

Do not think of what will happen tomorrow, for the same eternal Father who takes are of you today will look out for you tomorrow and always. Either he will keep you from evil or he will give you invincible courage to endure it. (St. Francis de Sales)



So you would think that garage sales would be over by late October in the Windy City, wouldn't you. Well, they were sparse, but they're still happening. Last weekend I only made it to one, but it was a good one. Three neighbors were pooling their stuff, and one of them clearly was an amateur (or professional) antiquer. They all frequented estate sales. I got so much stuff that I could hardly get it home on my bike (and this was way up in Rogers Park) but I made it.

I did break the first, cardinal rule of thrifting. When I first got there I saw a beautiful light blue chenille bedspread marked $10, which is a steal, but would have been half my usual garage sale budget. So I decided to look around. Enter two professional guys, making their sweep. The one guy says under his breath, "Chenille" and the other guy grabs it. I guess I had to relearn the hard way: Don't walk by something. You can always change your mind and put it down, but not vice versa. Oh well.

The biggest score was two huge jars of buttons. He took $12 for both and there are TONS of buttons, including some really interesting ones. There also were lots of nice big ones, which look like they're from coats and that will be great for my sweater purses.

Other finds included three very cool Japanese scarves, one of which I've already used for a purse lining. They were $1; a huge thing of vintage gold fringe trim ($4 but there's lots there). The gold matches my living room walls perfectly. I also got two books: a big hardback called "Stamp Decorating" and the "Fix It and Forget It" one I've wanted for awhile. $1.50 for both.


This is where I confess that I used to collect cows. But I didn't go overboard (some might argue) because I limited it to cow kitchen stuff. Well, awhile ago I got a little tired of the moo motif in my kitchen so I saved only a few precious items: my cow tea kettle and a few cow salt and pepper shakers. At Saturday's sale, I found this cute S&P set for $2. I think it says "Barbe Moo" or something like that. And then this cool tin, shaped like a barn, and with the adorable decorating inside. I picture Sam putting his blocks in there or somethingl $4.


By the way, the St. Francis de Sales quote was shared with me by my Vietnam adoption coordinator Therese when I needed help believing I could get through all this. We're thinking of her today because she had some (minor) surgery. We pray for a speedy recovery.

7 comments:

Renee said...

I've been wanting a Fix It and Forget It cookbook too! You'll have to let me know what you think of it.

Paula said...

Is that barn tin an old lunchbox?? Very cute.

mo said...

Those buttons are fantastic! The website where I get my glass glitter is www.splintersandrags.com -I tried to email it to you last night but it came back so I didn't think you got it. She has lots of great colors of glitter.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you with all the great thrifty things. I keep my eyes out for buttons but the ladies around here (in my neck of the woods) must be hoarding them!

katie said...

I wish the UK would catch on to garage sales - we have jumble sales I suppose - which are a bit like them - but not quite - that looks like one fantastic haul - well done!

Elly said...

you have have some lovely things.Love all those buttons,very collectable.

Sarah and Jack said...

Ahhh, the garage sale chenille drama! My one and only run in at a church sale was over a chenille. The woman was really nasty towards me, and it made me a bit gunshy!