Friday, November 17, 2006

More purse-onalities

"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." (Theologian Frederick Buechner, Wishful Thinking)


















So I've been very, very busy: felting sweaters, cutting them up, deciding on pocket trim, picking out buttons, trying to match lining fabrics and tie handles, hand and machine sewing them all together. I now have three new "purse-onalities." Two are this fun bright green chartreuse color. This first one has a fun striped outer pocket but I forgot to do the inner pocket. But it does have the metallic clasp. The lining fabric is a vintage royal, aqua and green floral print, and the vintage tie echoes the bright blues.





















"Purse-onality #2" is not from the same sweater, believe it or not, but a similarly colored one. (The striped pocket on #1, above, came from this sweater.) This bag (more of a tote, as it is bigger) has stripes on the from bottom as well as the pocket, which is sewn down the middle for two little pockets. The lining is this green and aqua geometic decorator fabric and includes an inside pocket. I did not add the metallic clasp, since this is more of a tote bag. A light blue vintage tie makes the handle.





















"Purse-onality #3" is a heathery brown with a tan stripe at the bottom and three little pockets of a blue/orange/green/brown stripe, each big enough to hold a nice lipstick or chapstick. The lining fabric is a brown and blue vintage geometic, and the brown and blue vintage tie coordinates. This has both an inner pocket and the metallic clasp!

I have decided that I am for sure going to be selling these. First, the few Chicago friends who have expressed interest will have first dibs. Then, a friend of a friend, is hosting a home party where many homemade items will be sold. It will be from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 3, at a home in the Lincoln Square neighborhood. If you're interested, email me and I'll send you the address. Although that is Cookie Baking Weekend, I may try to get home early to be at the sale. If not, my purses will be there. Whatever doesn't sell then will be my very first etsy offerings! (One question from crafty readers: How important is the metallic clasp, do you think?)

What is Cookie Baking Weekend, you ask? Oh, are you in for a treat! You'll see soon...

6 comments:

Mary said...

Cute purses. I think you should make a jacket. Look at the jacket pattern by Chris Bylsma. She knits squares and puts them together. I think you could do that with squares of felted sweaters.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Heidi! You have been busy. I love all of the purses, hard to pick a favorite. I don't really think you need the metal clasp on the purses but maybe put them on a couple and do a test as to see which are more desirable to your customers for future reference. Great lining!! love the colors and patterns.

Hmmmmm cookie weekend, you've peaked my interest. Whatever it is, I am sure it includes lots of taste testing! LOL

mo said...

Gorgeous bags. You did a great job coordinating the linings.

Renee said...

I really hope you blog in great detail about Cookie Baking Weekend! I'm so curious--maybe you can post your best and most festive cookie recipe!

Anonymous said...

Heidi - these are gorgeous! I only wish I could drive to Chicago for the weekend to buy one at your friend's party. I am always inspired by your talent for creating amazing things! Have fun at Cookie Baking weekend! I still hold fond memories of my weekend with your family and the game of charades later in the evening. Much love - Kassie

jen said...

These are SO cute!!! Love using the tie for handles.