Sunday, November 05, 2006

New purse-onalities

"'Help' is a prayer that is always answered." (Anne Lamott, Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith)
So this is my first recycled sweater purse. I was so proud of it that I took it "up north" to my Grandma's 95th birthday party (more about that in a subsequent post) to show it off to my crafty mother, aunt, and grandmother. They were impressed!

It helps that this sweater is from some cool fall colors with a nice pattern. Those two small pockets are made from the the sleeve ribbing, blanketstitched and topped with vintage buttons. The inside is that cool Japanese scarf fabric I found at a garage sale for $1. And the solution to my handle dilemma? Vintage ties! This one is my grandfather's, but I've since hit the thrift stores to add to my stash.

I've got three more of these cut out, and I've purchased, ahem, "several" (meaning "tons") more sweaters to make some more. People are expressing interest in them so I may try to sell a few, on etsy, to friends, or even at a possible open house craft sale sponsored by my friend who does cool cigar purses.

I need advice, though: How much would you sell this for? Or more importantly, what would you pay? It's about 12x18 inches, my materials cost about $7-8 (including magnetic closure), and they take me about three hours, complete with handsewn lining. I'm thinking $35 or $39. What do you think? I think a lot of crafters have a hard time pricing their work. It's hard!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, you did an excellent job, love the buttons, too! I know it's so hard pricing things but I would say you probably are in line with at least doubling your material cost then adding in your hours at about 7 dollars an hour or maybe more....it's hard to say. I'm not an expert but that would bring it the range you are thinking about.

Keep up the good work!!

Lucy

tocspaw said...

That is so cute!!! Great job!!!

Rebecca said...

Great purse! I have no clue about pricing, I have worried over that myself. Just make sure you don't sell your self short. You could always do what I think the stores do, say it's on SALE for a certain price (meaning that's what you want to sell it for) and they feel like it's a bargain. Hey, it works on me but I have a bit of a shopping problem. Can't wait to see more recycled sweater bags! Cables, please!