Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thankfulness

"We hold the key to lasting happiness in our own hands. For it is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful." (Brother David Steindl-Rast, Gratefulness: The Heart of Prayer)


Things I'm thankful for:

1. My incredible husband.

2. My family, including in-laws!

3. My friends, old and new, including those I've met through craft blogs.

4. My adoption agency and the Vietnam government, both of which will help us have a child.

5. That the people I love are healthy.

6. Time for creative projects.

7. A career I still enjoy.

8. A Democratic Congress.

9. Our new (used) car, thanks to my parents.

10. A God who has given us all these blessings.

Those cross-stitched pilgrims were made by me about a decade ago and grace my mom's table every year. (Check out her blog and see the cute sweater she's knitting for Samuel.) And the ceramic salt and pepper shakers were made by my sister (long ago in my Aunt Pat's ceramic shop).

Today we enjoyed a wonderful meal of all the traditional foods: turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes with brandy, watermelon pickles, and mincemeat and pumpkin pie. Yum!

Tomorrow, my mom and I are planning to hit Michael's in time for the 25% coupon (6-9 a.m.), then off to a huge craft fair at State Fair Park in Milwaukee. In other craft news, I started knitting my first pair of socks today. I thought it'd be good to knit them while home so my mom can teach me to turn the heel.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed the cute pumpkins in the foreground. I imagine you made those, too.

Anonymoys

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and purchased some good bargains at Michael's. Did you go for something specific or for whatever hit your fancy at the time??

lucy

mo said...

That is a pretty great list. I went to Michaels too!

Rebecca said...

Happy Thanksgiving! What a wonderful thankful list. I am very intrigued by sweet potatos with brandy and watermelon pickles . . . do share!

Anonymous said...

Hey--were they my watermelon pickles? I gave some to both mom and you. Let me know if they taste like you remember.--Amy