Thursday, November 30, 2006

Vintage Christmas Swap

"Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, and the other, gold. Across the land, across the sea, friends forever we will always be." (Old Girl Scout song)


I had such a nice experience with my last swap that I decided to sign up for another one, even in the midst of Christmas craziness. This one is part of Vintage Swaps, and the theme is (surprise, surprise) Vintage Christmas. Yesterday I got assigned my swap partner, and I'm excited to say she lives Down Under! (OK, so shipping will be more expensive, but I like having international friends!) Her name is Sarah London and, after reading her blog, I've surmised that she likes funky vintage with clean lines. Hopefully I'll be hearing from her to get a better idea of what she likes. Meanwhile, I have been collecting a few vintage Christmas items in my thrifting shopping of the past few weeks.

To help out Sarah, I've borrowed this getting-to-know-you Christmas list of questions from Lucy at Sweet Repeats:

1) Egg nog or Hot Chocolate: Egg nog
2) Does Santa wrap presents or sit them under the tree? In the stocking, unwrapped.
3)Colored lights on the tree/house: White, white, white!
4)Do you hang mistletoe? If I remember to buy it.
5)When do you put your decorations up? After Thanksgiving.
6)What is your favorite holiday dish? Cookies and candy.
7)Favorite holiday memory as a child? Seeing Santa Claus running away from our house.
8)When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Kim Erbach told me about the Easter Bunny one Easter and I extrapolated about Santa.
9)Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? All of them.
10)How do you decorate your Christmas tree: In silver, gold, and crystal ornaments, most of which are gifts from my godparents, Betty and Mike.
11) Do you like snow? Love it, but then I don't have to drive much in it or shovel it at all.
12)Can you ice skate? Not as well as my mother!
13) Do you remember your favorite gift? Mmmm. I'm hoping for it this year: my referral from Vietnam of Sam!
14) What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? I like the theme of waiting during Advent and the message of the Incaration at Christmas, that God came to earth and became like us. But also the whole family thing, too.
15) What is your favorite holiday dessert? Oh, I love all our cookies, but I think cranberry cake with butter sauce has to win.
16) What is your favorite holiday tradition? It's not really gifts. But I like all the preparation: getting a tree, decorating, parties. Probably Cookie Baking Weekend (this weekend!) is my favorite tradition, in part because it was a later development that took into account our changing lives.
17) What tops your tree? A silver star from Ikea.
18) Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Giving. But receiving is nice, too.
20)Candy Canes or Chocolate Covered Cherries? Candy canes, I guess.
21) Favorite Christmas Movie? Probably "It's a Wonderful Life."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for swaps!! I enjoy doing them, too---your swap to me was also a great experience! How cool to have a REAL long distance swap pal, I'll have to check out her blog as well. You know the circle of blogs go!

Looking forward to you posting about your cookie baking! I need to get started on some of my holiday baking too. I'm going to do fudge tomorrow. Not sure if it will last till Christmas though! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi: Catching up your blog. Guess what? I learned a new verse to the "Make New Friends" song with my troop. It goes like this: "A circle is round, and has no end. That's how long I want to be your friend." I don't remember that from our GS days. Love, Amy