Monday, December 11, 2006

Amy's Jesse tree

"A shoot shall come out from the stump of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots." (Isaiah 11:1)
Well, we're into the second week of Advent here, so I guess I better show you all my amazing "Advent wreath." It's actually what's called a Jesse Tree, referring to the Old Testament quote above tracing Jesus' lineage back to the Israelites. We had a Jesse tree at the Catholic school I attended for a few years, and as an adult I said I always wanted one for my family.

Last year my "non-crafty" sister made this amazing one for me as my Christmas gift--and she designed it as well. It's made of felt and hangs on the inside of our front door, so you get the idea of how big it is. The tree has velcro patches on it, and each pocket contains a felted, stuffed little image that matches the scripture reading for the day. Below you see the world for Creation, the apple and serpent for Adam and Eve, the ram for Isaac, and the ark for Noah. Aren't they cute?


The daily reading is printed is on a laminated card. And the best part: She used inclusive language in the translations. Perfect for a feminist theologian like myself!

Of course, I only jokingly call my sister "non-crafty." She often feels that way in comparison to my my mother and me, who both knit and do lots of other needlecrafts. After this project she can't call herself "non-crafty" anymore. It is hands down one of the best gifts I ever received (next to the song she learned on the piano and played for me one year). Thanks again, Amy. You're the best sister ever.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a wonderful gift! I've never seen one of these, it's gorgeous and Amy is MORE than crafty! I remember Advent wreaths from Sunday school with the purple candles. (I think, it's been quite a long time for me.)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Heidi. (Blush, blush). How can I be the best sister ever, when you already are? Love you. Amy

Heatherly said...

i love the jesse tree! i remember those from when i lived on the east coast. hadn't seen one since.