Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas in Philly

"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light." (Isaiah 9:2)
(Holly from my in-laws' front yard)

Christmas in Philadelphia is very different than Christmas in the Midwest. My in-laws are wonderful, loving people, but ones who will never be accused of stressing out about Christmas. My first Christmas here, they handed each other gifts still in the plastic Target bags. There are very few traditions that they have to do each year. Their tree is artificial.

But I have come to love Christmas at the Butler household. For one thing, it's always very relaxed. Since I've arrived, I've taken one or more naps per day and knit half a baby sweater. The Butlers also know how to laugh and have a good time. Last night we were cracking up during the present opening as we all tried to blow up the exercise ball Trish got her Dad. Earlier she and her dad were playing air guitar to the Stones.

But there's a little bit of sadness this Christmas, as Ed's dad is still not feeling well after last year's radiation and chemo for esophageal cancer. The current problem is back pain, and since other things have been ruled out, he is scheduled for a CAT scan tomorrow to see if there are any tumors causing it. We're all a little nervous.

So if you have time today, while enjoying your family this Christmas, say a little prayer for my father-in-law. I know he is going to be such a great grandpa, so I hope he's around for a long, long time.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope your christmas in philly is good! we also walked at wissahickon. . that is where the photos are from. . not much snow, only 50 degree weather and rain! xo

bunchkin said...

I hope your Christmas is great! And I am wishing you only a little bit of snow, just enough to make it feel Christmassy, not like here where there's so much freakin' snow and if I have to shovel that driveway one more time....grumble......grumble......

Sue said...

Praying for you and for your family ....