Friday, December 08, 2006

A solemn week

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." (Archbishop Oscar Romero, quoted in Context)

Although I have been busy with Christmas preparations and crafting this week (not to mention work), I haven't blogged for several days in part because I've been distracted by two big sad things in the news this week: The first was the death of James Kim, who I first learned about on several craft blogs. I don't know why I was so touched by this story: Perhaps it was because I know people (via blogs) who know them. Or maybe it's just the whole idea of being lost that we all can relate to and are so afraid of. I do believe James was a hero to go out to try to save his family. So many crafters are trying to support them. Some are organizing this gift basket project.

Then today a gunman entered the office building next to my husband's and shot three people dead before the police killed him. Ed's building was locked down during the ordeal. Not to mention the record numbers of U.S. soldiers and Iraqis dying this week... Seems like so much death and sadness as we all prepare for what's supposed to be the happiest time of the year. If nothing else, it makes our bad news of more delays on our adoption seem tiny by comparison.

Meanwhile, my mom has written a great summary of the 2006 Schlumpf Women Cookie Baking Weekend. She details that among the 1,836 cookies were 249 gingerbread people, 525 sugar cookie cutouts, 279 creme de menthe bon bons, 133 spritz trees, 171 wreaths 161 and thumbprints and more. That's my sister and my Aunt Pat decorating gingerbread boys and girls in the photo above. My Aunt Pat launched her blog this week.

In other crafting news, I am happy to report that I have now sold 10 of my "Purse-onalities" recycled felted sweater purse bags: seven to friends and three at last Sunday's house party. This brown and orange one went to my friend Karen. (Blogger won't let me post the photo.) I only have five left, though I am making more, just not at the pace I was cranking them out in the past couple weeks. I plan to try to put them on etsy early next week. When I've been hitting the thrift stores to stock up on sweaters, fabric and ties for the purses, I've picked up some other cool things. I'll try to get some photos this weekend and do a thrift post next week.

Meanwhile, I'll be praying for some peace for those who have lost loved ones in this past week. May God give them peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has been such a sad sad week. Prayers for peace for all those affected by so much tragedy. On a happy note, look at all the new births you just posted about. Life is so full circle, yet the endings so much more painful than the beginnings in so many cases.

I'll check out your fam's blogs. I'm sure they are all wonderful like yours.

lucy

jungle dream pagoda said...

I am so sorry for the delays in your adoption. I know you are going to be such a wonderful mother,you already are.