Sunday, December 31, 2006

Year in review

"Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to." (Bill Vaughn)

I've been pretty ambivalent about celebrating new year's this year. Actually, ambivalent is not strong enough. Given that I was really hoping Edmund and I would become parents this past year, it's hard to look back and focus on how that didn't happen. Given all the adoption snags, it's also hard to confidently look ahead and be sure that we will be parents in 2007. So while I'll probably stay up with to celebrate East Coast new year and watch the ball drop, I'll probably be in bed before midnight.

The rest of our visit to Wisconsin has been more fun. We went to Comedy Sportz, where my budding thespian nephew went on stage as a volunteer from the audience. On NYE my mom made fondue: cheese, meat (lots of meats, including venison, elk and wild turkey), and chocolate. It was yummy! Ed and I also got to take a nice hike in the woods before brunch.

So while I don't want to reflect on the year as a whole, I thought some blog reminiscing might be fun. I read about this here and here. You're supposed to share the first line of your first post of each month. Supposedly it gives you a snapshot of your year. Since I've only been blogging since March, I'll have to start there.

March: Today I admitted for the first time that I am addicted to reading knitting blogs.

April: When my husband and I moved into our condo in Chicago's Lincoln Square, it was the first time I'd lived in a place with my own washer and dryer.

May: A member of the Patterns of the Past Yahoo group pointed me to the A Good Yarn site, which has a whole bunch of free vintage patterns.

June: Today I am 42.

July: While at my parents' last weekend, I knit up a quick fortune cookie, using the pattern for the smaller one (from IndigoMuse).

August: Surprise!

September: Because of all the new hassles with our adoption (see my Dear Sam and Sophie blog here), I haven't had much time or energy to work on Sam's blanket.

October: It's official... fall is here.

November: So you would think that garage sales would be over by late October in the Windy City, wouldn't you.

December: Well, I made my deadline: 10 Purse-onalities (recycled felted wool sweater purses with vintage tie handles) and delivered to them to my friend Stephanie yesterday for a Sunday craft show/house party.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Wow, yours are good! I am definitely inspired! Except, damn, I already posted today and I did not pay attention at all to my first line! There goes 2007!!!