Thursday, January 25, 2007

Charity knitting/stash busting

"Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers and sisters, that you do unto me." (Matthew 25:40)

I've been doing a bit of charity knitting lately. These are not muppets but rather hats made of Fun Fur yarn for children with cancer who are undergoing chemo. My cousin's then-6-year-old daughter was diagnosed with cancer almost two years and, thank God, is cancer free now. So when I saw that Kate was organizing knitters to make chemo caps for kids at Children's Hospital in Boston, I knew I wanted to help. Can you believe that she currently has 549 knitters on board?!?!? It also shows the power of the Internet: one person tells another, who posts it on her blog, and before you know it, you have thousands of hats! I sent my three to her today.

Thinking of children suffering with cancer and the pain their poor parents must be enduring has really helped me to not obsess about our own problems--and has had the added benefit of decreasing my yarn stash by three skeins! I'm really trying not to add to the stash these days, for space reasons but also to save pennies. I have plenty of yarn to keep me busy for many, many months, without buying any more. (This is also the first time I've knit something with two color yarns: see the green one with blue stripe. Easy-peasy.)

Another charity project I'm excited to be joining is this one: Made for China. The sister of Kidding Around blogger has an adopted daughter from China and is collecting handmade toys to take with her when she returns to visit orphanages. She expects to visit about 300 children. Who knows: maybe one of my toys might actually get played with by my daughter! Someday I would like to organize something like this, when I know where my kids' orphanages are. Details should be posted on Tuesday.

I continue to be amazed by the generosity of craft bloggers: both to each other and to needy causes. Go for it, girls!

4 comments:

Purl Needlemeyer said...

What a great spirit you are! God bless.

VaxGirl said...

Cute! They remind me of Tribbles!

Anonymous said...

Heidi, of the many bloggers I have "met", you definitely have one of the biggest hearts. Good for you to share your talent and your love of others in such meaningful ways.

hugs, lucy

Sue said...

What a great idea and cause! I would love to knit a bear or something similar for them, Heidi. I'll go and check it out. Thanks!

Your fun fur hats look awesome!

Finally, I agree with Lucy ~ you do have a big heart and your genuine love for others shines brightly.