Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Creative resolutions

"Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." (Oprah Winfrey) These are my niece and nephews, who had a lot more NYE spirit than I did. After reading lots of other creative blogs, I would say people are evenly divided about whether to make resolutions or not. Some people call them "goals," which doesn't sound quite so cheesy. I'm not a big resolution maker, but since I created this blog in part to help keep track of my creative projects, I think I will make some goals for the next year:


Craft goals:
1. Master how to knit socks.
2. Make enough recycled purses to sell at a fall craft fair.
3. Open etsy shop and sell purses or other items there.
4. Knit sweaters, make clothes for Sam and Sophie.
5. Continue to make gifts for friends and family.
6. Participate in swaps as I feel comfortable.
7. Continue thrifting. Maybe sell some thrifted stuff on ebay.
8. Knit from yarn stash as much as possible to try to get it to a manageable, storable size.

Decorating goals:
1. Finish Ed's bathroom: new sink, toilet, paint, shower curtain
2. Decorate nursery.
3. Organize desk area in bedroom.
4. Organize craft supplies, especially yarn stash.


Blogging goals:
1. Convert to Blogger Beta.
2. Learn how to do custom banner.
3. Make categories.
4. Merge "Spiritual Decorator" with "Spiritual Knitter."
5. Resume "Spiritual Bookworm."
6. Continue blogging.

* I reserve the right to add to these as I think of new goals.

At this time of year, it seems that many bloggers also reevaluate why they blog and whether or not to keep blogging. I started blogging mainly to have a space where I could chronicle my creative endeavors. Whether anyone besides my husband, mother and sister would read it never even entered my mind. Here in Chicago I have a bunch of really close women friends, but few share my creative hobbies (except Delia!). Online I have found women all over the world who do, and it's been fun creating that community. I like comments as much as the next person, but I don't really live or die by them. It'd be nice if you'd comment once, so I know who's out there, but don't feel like you have to give me positive strokes to every mitten or purse I post! I also use my blog to post links to other cool things I have seen online, so I can remember them. Thank you to all of you for your great ideas and creativity!

On that note: Don't forget to visit the Kim Family Auction. And thanks to My House is Cuter Than Yours for alerting me that Everclear is going to be in Chicago Feb. 10. Hint, hint, Edmund.

5 comments:

sandy said...

Hi Heidi.....I live a small rural town in South Central SD. I'm the only knitter I know in my age group...early 60's....so I do a lot of knitting blog reading and found you a few weeks ago. I don't have a blog, yet. We have dear friends who adopted a little girl from China 2 years ago and are waiting for another one. It takes such a long time., as you know. But so worth it. She is 3 1/2 now. God bless you and I hope you have a call soon...........Sandy

Sarah and Jack said...

Hey Heidi, I tried to email you via the email link in your profile, but it was returned as invalid! Here is the email I tried to send:

I have a question, is the font in the actual post on my blog swirly? Or just the fonts in the comments, sidebars and headers???

On my machine, the pretty fonts are only in the secondary places, not in the text of the posts. If it is swirly in the posts to some folks, I must have a secondary font set up as a default somehow if you don't have the original font available on your machine.

When we did the very first template changes, we had the swirly font everywhere, but changed it (I thought!).

Thanks for your help,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

In my experience blogger beta will stuff you around for a few days then settle down nicely.

Anonymous said...

I like how you organized your goals in categories. I hope you acheive them all to your satisfaction!

I have enjoyed your blog in 2006 and look forward to peeking in on your acheivements in 2007. :)

lucy

Heidi said...

Sandy,

Since I can't email you, I just wanted to say thanks for your kind words about our adoption. Let me know if/when you start your own knitting blog!

Heidi