"Still, there are many times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination." ("The Third and Final Continent," Interpreter of Maladies, by Jhumpa Lahiri)
Just as I am late to just about everything (except meetings at work: I hate it when people are late to meetings), I'm finally de-lurking in honor of National De-lurking Week, which I think was about two weeks ago. I've been busy commenting on lots of people's blogs where I usually lurk, but apparently I'm also supposed to post a photo of myself so all you lurkers can see what I look like. (Plus I get to post this button, which made me laugh.) This photo is a couple years old but I still pretty much look like this. That's my husband, Ed. He's always acting silly.
The "name 6 weird things about yourself" meme has been going around, so I asked the aforementioned husband to help me think of some, and he proceeded to name all my bad qualities. Nice! Well, I finally came up with some, and then today Heidi of Vacuuming in High Heels and Pearls tagged me. (btw, isn't it weird that all my life I've met about three people with the same name as mine, and yet within the past few months I've started reading two other blogs by Heidis--the other is The Wise 5.)
OK, here comes the weirdness:
1. I sleep on my stomach, face down. Can't fall asleep any other way. Good thing I never got pregnant or I don't know how I would have slept!
2. I eat candy before bed (and then don't brush my teeth before going to sleep.) No lectures, please! And yes, I have a lot of cavities, but my dentist says it's genetic.
3. I can't do the fish pose in yoga because it hurts my throat.
4. My knees crack all the time, and no one knows what causes it.
5. My nose is always cold. Right now it's downright icy because our heat seems to be broken again.
6. My last name (Schlumpf) in German (with an umlaut over the u) means "a little troll." And it's what they call the Smurfs in German. It fits, because my whole family on that side is short. I'm 5 feet tall.
There you go. I will also second Heidi that I've never watched "American Idol." But then I'm very unhip in many ways! So, I'm tagging you, Mom, Aunt Pat, and Sue. Amy, you can go ahead and do it in the comments, if you want.