Thursday, January 18, 2007

MLK Road Trip

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the staircase." (Martin Luther King Jr.)

Awwww! Isn't she cute? Meet my new niece, Elena, daughter of Ed's brother and sister-in-law. We took our first real road trip in our new car to Lexington, Kentucky, to visit them. It was a great trip: Ed and I both got a little practice in baby-holding, we had two wonderful meals prepared by Tom, Ed's brother (scallops and rissotto--YUM!), and didn't kill each other during the 6+ hour trip each way.


In fact, Ed was nice enough to drive the whole way on the way down there, so I was able to finish this hideous blob of blue eyelash yarn (at left). Through another blog, I learned about this woman, who is hats made of "not-so-fun-fur" and other eyelash-type yarns for cancer kids in Boston. Immediately I thought, "Sign me up!" She's already got some 300 knitters and is offering prizes (as if getting rid of your stash of eyelash yarn isn't enough!) The green/chartruse yarn is next. I hope to knit three or however many it takes to get rid of most of my furry yarn.

On the way home, I helped with the driving but was still able to start this copy of the girlfriend scarf (oh, I mean "friendship" scarf--I was corrected by my mom for non-inclusive language) I made for myself. This is destined for a certain friend who admired mine.

The cherry on the top: Ed let me run into a Goodwill in southern Indiana that was across the street from the Waffle House where we had lunch. In 10 minutes, I found a nice wool sweater for felting, a few Japan mugs and something for the Pink and Brown Swap.

When we arrived home, we discovered we had no heat and hadn't for several days while we were gone. Luckily, my hero went to the hardware store, bought a new, digital thermostat, installed it and had the warm air blasting by dinnertime. Of course, then we watched this, and I immediately felt guilty. I'm buying new, energy efficient lightbulbs this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful blog! wouldn't expect anything less from another heidi!