Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Thrifting

"A rock pile ceases to be a a rock pile the moment a single [person] contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral." (Antoine de Saint-Exupery, quoted in Spiritual Caregiving by Verna Benner Carson and Harold Koenig)

I did some thrifting over the holidays (one quick jaunt to Salvation Army on Montrose), where I found all this good stuff. If it hadn't been for other bloggers (of course, I can't remember who now) who pointed out how cute these Japanese mugs are, I wouldn't have known to snatch up this matching set for a total of 80 cents. I love how they stack. Very 1970s. In fact, I think my mom might have had some like this, hanging on an orange mug rack.

I bought a bag of assorted things just to get these two wooden apples with iron spikes as stems. Aren't they cute? The bag also had two oranges made of concrete or something very heavy. I don't want them but can't bring myself to throw them away. Seems like they would make a good gag gift for something.

Here's some of the cool fabric I found.











Many, many yards of this tan floral print in a heavy decorator type fabric.











This cool pillocase in neutral colors. Leaf motifs are my favorite.











This graphic pillowcase. Love the red and orange together.











This is one large piece that is one big print. I have no idea what to do with this, but I really liked the graphic.










Finally, this soft brown and orange pattern on some old drapes.

And of course a bunch of wool sweaters for felting...

9 comments:

mo said...

That bird print is gorgeous

Anonymous said...

Wow! You made out like a bandit! I had no luck at all thrifting last week. I'm hoping to make out better this week, if not, I might be hoping a flight to Chicago so I can get my thrifted item for the swap! LOL

Anonymous said...

Love those mugs. Aren't they the coolest? I passed up a set in black and red the other day because my hands were already full. I'm still kicking myself...

patsy said...

you found some cute stuff,wish I was with you,Will try Eau Claires thrift shop

Sue said...

Nice job on the goods! I'm so bad about being creative that when I'm at a thrift store or an antique mall or what have you, I'm not always good at seeing outside of the box, if you will. I appreciate your creativity.

monica said...

my oh my, what an amazing loot!

I NEVER find anything even remotely as nice as that.

And don't get me started on those mugs...

VictoriaE said...

Those mugs rock, and what about that design with the birds - wow. Maybe you should hang onto that wooden fruit because your kids would enjoy it very much in the future. (Did I mention I now also use towels from the op-shop!)

VictoriaE said...

And I LOVE that orange pillowcase.

tocspaw said...

I love the graphic bird print - it's gorgeous!!