Sunday, February 04, 2007

Religious items free

"The wealth of a city is its people." (Harmond Wilkes, character in Radio Golf, the August Wilson play Ed and I saw Friday night at the Goodman Theater)


Get ready for lots of loot photos. While at Salvation Army last week I briefly wandered in the china aisle looking for Japanese mugs, then saw these plates with what looked like a funky retro 50s look. So I bought the five bowls and three plates for $6.50, thinking it could be a learning experience. Turns out they are Temporama, a pretty collectible pattern made by Canonberg Pottery. I'm going to sell these on ebay, where they should fetch about $20 or more. Woo-hoo!


This saucer also had a retro "atomic" print but no writing on the back, so I have no idea if it resellable or not. But for 40 cents, I liked it.


Even better is this funky ashtray, I think. I plan to use it as a candle holder. Cute.

Friday was my "every other Friday off" so I went to an estate sale in Lincolnwood, the first suburb north and west, near Skokie. Lots of ranch houses out there, but also some tear-downs where they have built huge brick mansions. It looks funny. On a day it was 0 degrees, some 40 people showed up before I did, 10 minutes after they gave out numbers. So I went and got coffee, came back, stood outside (!) and waited about 10-15 minutes to get in. I wasn't hopeful, but found some cool stuff, including six aprons, buried in the linen closet. These two above are gingham with cross stitch. I've got quite a few of those kind now.

Two more aprons: They were $2 each, which is really no bargain. I probably should have been more selective and not bought all of them. I occasionally find aprons at the thrift store for 40 cents.

This one is my favorite with the yellow and teal and rick rack. The red one is the fancy see-through kind, which is not my fave. I like the cotton ones.


I picked up the tablecloth for the fabric and grabbed these two crocheted potholders. Aren't they cute? They need a soak in oxi. And what about this great metal platter: My home state with lots of towns highlighted. Love it!

I bought this bunch of trims because the curtain pull-backs looked like they might match my drapes and they do. It also came with a bunch of these strung-together pom pons. Not sure what to do with that, but it looked fun and was $1 for all of it.

Finally, as I was waiting in line to check out, I saw a sign that said "Religious items free" with a bunch of crucifixes and other stuff. I picked up this framed prayer, two St. Christopher medals and a little pearl-covered prayer book in Polish. Does no one collect religious items? Did they really think someone wouldn't pay 50 cents for this stuff? Or maybe the sellers have a rule against selling religious items? I don't know.

I spent something like $22 for everything (not shown: a hat box, cashmere sweater). Am I just really lucky, or do most people find this much good stuff at estate sales?

12 comments:

Heidi said...

Estate sales around here tend to be way overpriced, so I don't go often. I think you got some great deals! I've seen those gingham aprons referred to as "chicken scratch" before. Love the potholders! Very pretty, and I'm sure the Oxyclean will lighten them right up. Good finds!

VictoriaE said...

You got heaps of good stuff. I have one of those exact same potholders at my house - funny that people were probably making them from the same pattern all over the globe, it does look homemade. I love "religious items"but feel like I cant buy the little Mary statues because I'm not catholic (I'm penticostal and my husband is a pastor, and a lot of our variation of Christianity were a bit offended when I had in icon on the wall - come on, narrow minds)Also my kids would try to include the statues in their make belive games with plastic animals and barbie dolls, and it seems a bit disrespectful. Any thoughts on this?

Vaxgirl said...

In my area there are usually so many dealers lined up at estate sales that I just don't bother any more. You got some geat stuff!

linda t said...

Love the Wisconsin tray!
My Mom serves ice cream & coffee to my Dad every night while they are watching TV in that very tray!
I miss Wisconsin! I'm from south of Eau Claire, between Black River Falls & Eau Claire... just off I94. You'll see it on the tray! How fun!
GREAT finds!

Sue said...

Look at all the fun stuff! I especially love the white and yellow apron. It reminds me of my Grandmother for some reason. The religious stuff for free seems odd, but yes, maybe it is because the person didn’t want them sold for any profit. The picture of the Holy Family is very lovely, Heidi. I am glad it has founds its way to you…

Rebecca said...

I have yet to even go to an estate sale! (so deprived) I think you got some good deals!

Sarah and Jack said...

I think the free thing must have definitely been about not wanting to profit from the sale of religious items. Nice haul though!

madhatter said...

beautiful treasures!
i love the first plate and the black-and-white checkered apron... the embroidery is a cute idea!

jen said...

i've never been to an estate sale.. but now i want to go! i like the idea of rooting through the house to fin dsomething that i like.

Ann said...

What wonderful vintage fiber stuff you've got there. I too have a lot of my husband's grandfather's household stuff. Love it.

Eren said...

WOW, what a haul! I love the aprons and well, I love it all! And you know, Im just N of you across the WI border, so if you ever want to go junking up this way, let me know. I always love a good partner.

Oh, and I know where you can get lots more of that star pattern...I saw it last week at Value Village in Racine.

Elizabeth Pryor said...

Great stuff! That pom pom fringe stuff I remember seeing an idea for in a book called Salvage Sisters. I think they wrapped it into balls for decor. :)