Saturday, March 10, 2007

Attn: Arizona thrifters

"Life is not a path of coincidence, happenstance, and luck, but rather an unexplainable, meticulously charted course for one to touch the lives of others and make a difference in the world." (Barbara Dillinham)


First of all, check out what Pam did with the above cool quote. A really beautiful collage. I've done some collage, but would love to try more. Lucy has ben doing some gorgous collages lately. Very inspiring.

It's always nice to do a little thrifting while on vacation, but the area around my parents' condo is mostly big box and chain stores. But while venturing out to meet our friends the Misiewiczs at Stanley's (a very cool Polish deli), I spotted a Salvation Army and a smaller thrift. My husband was very patient to let me spend some time in each.

The Salvation Army didn't have much in the way of linens, and prices were high, in my opinion. I got the yellow linen tablecloth below for $1.25, only because I spotted a hole in it. I'm probably going to cut it up anyway and make something Easter-y.



But the second shop, called "Second Treasures," and a fundraiser for the Sojourners Center for women affected by domestic violence, was the BEST! I spotted the two Pyrex (above) immediately but when I didn't see a price sticker, I was afraid they were too expensive. When I asked the price, the woman said it was by the pound, and told me they'd be $2, for both!

Then I found those cute Christmas platters (and four matching dessert plates, not shown). Again, by the pound: $2 for the platters. And $3 for the plates. I think these were from Restoration Hardware or someplace like that. The back says, "St. Nicholas Square: 'Tis the season."

I also got a cute Ann Taylor skirt for $2 and a sundress for $2. From the linen department, I got this blue chenille bedspread for $2 and a gold and white polka dot sheet for $2.

This was not a large store, but I thought it had a good selection, at least when I was there. Perhaps you Phoenixians (?) already know about it. I can't find any website, but it was right off the 51 on McDowell. Check it out.

5 comments:

Lucy said...

Wow Heidi, looks like you got some awesome deals today. 2 dollars was the magic number! I've never heard of selling items by the pound, but in anycase, you lucked out with the pyrex

Thank you for the sweet words about the collages! It's fast becoming one of my favorite things to do. There's so much you can bring into the picture and it's like going on a scavenger hunt to find items/words/colors to tell the story of your artwork. FUN! LOL the things that amuse me :)

lucy

Sue said...

What a haul! I love the Christmas plates. I can hardly turn things like that down either.

Conni Lu said...

I've been reading your posts after running across your blog. I'm not a knitter - YET - but I have a friend who promised to give me lessons and I can't wait to begin. Happy spring!

Rebecca said...

Great deals! Love the Pyrex of course. St. Nicholas Square is from Kohls department store. I like their ornaments a lot. They always have different things than the other stores. :)

Lilia Meredith said...

Phoenix does have the best thrift stores! Great finds!-Lilia