Sunday, April 29, 2007

For the children

"Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten." (Natasha Bedingfield, "Unwritten")

This package arrived from Rebecca last week. I bought that adorable crocheted cupcake pincushion (already in use) from her new Goodness Shop (only $3!!!) and she not only sent me some vintage blue rickrack as a little extra, but also this lovely hand-crocheted bonnet "For Sam," as the card said.

I know some of you read this blog for crafty news and inspiration, but many have hopped over to Dear Sam and Sophie and have followed our adoption journey, too. I am so appreciative for all the words of encouragement and support. Seriously, some days they really help me get out of bed and keep going. Even though I'm not very good at responding to comments, I really appreciate all your kind words. And, Rebecca, this is above and beyond. I was so touched that I burst into tears. As I told her, I haven't been able to knit or make anything for my own kids yet, because it's too painful to think that it's real, when it keeps getting pulled away from us. So it really means a lot to me that others are believing for me, when I seem to be losing faith.



Speaking of adoption journeys, I hosted a shower for my friend Karen (toward the back of this awful photo) last night. She and her husband leave for Ethiopia next week to pick up their 3-year-old twins Max and Mari (their photo is on the table with the flowers). Of course our Women's Group doesn't just do a "shower," instead we had a full-blown ritual and blessing of Karen as a mother and blessings and wishes for her children. It was a really nice evening, with catered Ethiopian food from my favorite restaurant here in Chicago and lots of wine.
There is craft news from the night: We all drew a symbol of a wish for their new family on a piece of solid color African cloth, and I'm going to somehow piece them with some African print fabric into a wall hanging for the kids' room. Stay tuned. And I gave Karen an (unfinished) sweater for Max, just like the one I did for her first shower almost a year ago. This one is a really pretty pumkin orange (again out of the Thick & Chunky Wool-ease) and with a pattern that is full of mistakes, which I had rework all over again because I lost the sheet with my notes from last time. I hope to post thos FOs before Mother's Day, which is when Ed and I pick them up from the airport.
**Oh, I also sold two purses last night to my good friend Suzanne.

1 comment:

VictoriaE said...

You WILL get your kids.