Thursday, March 29, 2007

vintage wallpaper

"It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection." (From the Bhagavad Gita, found in the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert)

I am not a big paper crafter. I just take one look at the scrapbook aisle at Michaels and think it just would require a whole new house to start acquiring all that. I did do a scrapbook from our France trip last year, and made my own wedding invitations, but right now my paper supplies are confined to one or two small plastic containers.

But then one day I found a roll of this super adorable 70s wallpaper at a thrift shop. I bought it just because it was so retro, then I learned paper crafters are dying for vintage wallpaper for their creative endeavors. So I decided to see if I could find some more. I did.



I found this cute mauvy pink floral, a fun world map print (along with a matching plum textury solid) and this swirly blue-green one. Also not pictured is a plaid of brick and sage green. I think they range from the late 60s to the 80s.

So I cut them into nice 8.5 x 11 inch sheets and put them for sale in groups of 12 sheets (two each of six patterns) in my etsy shop. I have quite a bit on each roll, so if any of you readers out there are interested, as I am willing to do custom orders of one or more patterns.

I'm sure all you collagers out there might like these. Or you card-makers. And I read about a Martha Stewart article on making glass coasters with vintage wallpaper at Tag Sale Tales.



With my brain on "vintage wallpaper," I was lucky enough to see some real live vintage paper in a bathroom of the condo where my aunt and uncle were staying in Phoenix this month. This silver metallic daisy pattern was on every wall and the ceiling in this small bathroom. I wanted to rip it off the wall! Of course, I didn't, but I will keep my eye out for more vintage wallpaper. I seem to have good luck at the thrift store and estate sales, so I thought I'd share the love. What do you use vintage wallpaper for?

9 comments:

jungle dream pagoda said...

Sweet Heidi,
just letting you know I got my beautiful bag,Thank you!!!
I'm running to Houston this weekend,so wil catch up later,just wanted to let you know.thank you again!

vintagechica said...

Heidi! Good to see you again! How are you? And I love the orange and green one on the top. I havent found any vintage wallpaper yet, but I am sill dreaming up things to do with my contact paper. It would be so fun in the back of an armoir or in the back of a medicine cabinet, dont you think?

Patsy said...

How can you tell if it's vintage as in wallpaper ,or just plain old?

Lucy said...

Heidi---I just bought one of your paper packs :) I like the atlas paper, Ihave a project in mind so I may purchase more once I get the pack and see how it looks on what I have in mind. :)

I love paper but haven't really got into scrapbooking. I am like you, I'm a little overwhelmed byall the embellishments, tools, and paper choices. I dont' really have room to start a new craft category...LOL. I use the paper that I do have in the collages that I've been doing but storage is definitely an issue with me. I've been using photo boxes for the smaller papers and cut outs,but it's the big sheets that I have no idea where to put!

lucy

Conni Lu said...

Your lovely, lovely gift arrived this weekend. I was out of town but when I returned I found your package in my mail. I am so thrilled to receive your generous gift. It's absolutely wonderful. I can't say how thankful I am. I am going to show my friends at quilt club this week, they will love it! Thanks so very, very, very much! Conni Lu from Simply Quilted

CrystalT said...

Heidi-
I emailed you to get your addy for the pincushion swap. Please contact me so I can send your pincushion to you my dear! Thanks. Love your blog!

CrystalT

Heidijayhawk said...

love all the papers! so stunning! by the way in ref to my post, i believe in the freedom of speech and have been in my share of protests. this guy is awful though. he shouts wicked things at my children on the way to church! just so hateful, so sad.

Rebecca said...

What a great find, I never find wall paper! I just ordered some (and that gorgeous flower pin, love the brown and blue!) I think my ship to address may have come up as my home address but you know that my work is better which I did type into Etsy. :) Yippee! I'm going to make those coasters FINALLY.

key said...

7 Laws of the Universe.

The Universal Laws are the secrets to success. in our 21st Century, there are millionaires who were born rich and millionaires that were born poor. There are millionaires who were educated and those who were not. There are millionaires in rich countries, there are millionaires in poor countries.

The secret of all their successes can be traced to their use of the laws of the Universe.

Some have been taught these laws. Other had the knowledge passed to them by their family. Others just instinctively use the laws. But the more you research the more obvious it is that there is one single reason for their success. The Laws of the Universe

Step by step we created and perfected a program to use all 7 secret elements of the laws of the Universe.

Check it once and feel the difference:
http://www.keyofwealth.com