Friday, April 27, 2007

Fabric haul

"It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection." (from the Bhagavad Gita, cited in Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert)


This is from a couple weeks ago, a visit to the Village Thrift, where I have so much luck finding linens. (My favorite Salvation Army recently reorganized their store and has fewer linens now.) Lucikly I also found a nice old suitcase to put them all in! In addition to the usual floral pillowcases, draperies and nice remnants of old sewing projects,


I found a few aprons (not pictured) for only 40 cents. I usually pay about $1 for any fabric at this place, a little less for a pillowcase and a little more for drapery.


My collection has gotten so big that it's time to start using my fabric for more than just purse linings. And, thanks to a wonderful find this trip, I have an idea.


A hint: It involves those two adorable pillowcases with Richard Scarry prints on them--my best score this trip. I love Lowly Worm! I'm hoping to make a little pair of pants and embelish a onesie for Sam.



Can yoy believe these flute-playing crickets? What can I do with that?



Love that pink and red curtain. And those napkins are from Williams Sonoma.


You can never have too many floral pillowcases, right? What's your favorite from my latest fabric haul?

10 comments:

Heidi said...

My favorite is the lowly worm! I love him. :)

paper-and-string said...

I love your richard scarry fabric :-) When we were little my sister was terrified of lowly worm!! I am very VERY jealous that you have a store so close that is so great!!
The crickets are amazing too...follow the trend and put them in a round embroidery frame, so cute :-)

Sarah and Jack said...

Strangely enough, I like the light green and white floral. I say strangely because I am usually such a die hard pink girl!

linda t said...

Heidi, I am into buying soft, old vintage pillowcases too!
So I am thinking that the floral one with the yellow background is a pillowcase and my fav! I would have snatched that in a heart beat!

Rebecca said...

Wow you did WELL! I loved Richard Scarry as a kid. I had a whole little town. I wonder what ever happened to that . . .

How big are the crickets? Could you cut them out and then make a back piece to match, sew em up and stuff them? So cute! I'd love one myself. :)

eren said...

Holy fabric score batgirl!!! You dont need me...that is obvious. I should be coming down your way to take lessons from you my friend. Great finds ... all of them!!!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Love the richard Scary fabric,but wowsy-woo-woo,thos cricket flautists are toooo cool!

bunchkin said...

Wow, that fabric is fabulous! I love thrift store finds.
I DO live in Alaska, but am in Anchorage now, where it gets down to -15 or so in the winter. Fairbanks is about 7 hours north and gets to -60. Brrrr...

2begin2 said...

I love the pillowcases! I tend to gravitate towards the linen when I go thrifting...which I haven't done in awhile!

VictoriaE said...

The Richard Scarry one with the names of the months on it.