Saturday, April 07, 2007

Petter Cottontail(s)

"Easter says you can put truth in a grave, but it won't stay there." (Clarence Wilbur Hall)

Meet Mopsy, Flopsy and Peter, three Easter bunnies I hand-stitched out of (what else?) felt from recycled sweaters. Have you noticed that I've been using my scraps for holiday-themed items lately? First it was the heart, then the shamrock, now these!

I started with an off-white sweater, which I felted and cut out in the shape of a bunny. Then I added the pink on his paws, embroidered the nose and mouth and sewed on blue buttons for eyes (which I guess makes this not baby-friendly). Then I blanket stitched around the edge in pink and stuffed it with fiberfill and some wool scraps.

The final details include a matching carrot (with embroidery floss leaves) and a little cottontail made out of wool roving. I still have to stitch the carrots on before my family comes for Easter. One of is for my mom and dad, one for my sister's family, and one for me!
Did you notice the sweet quilted Easter runner they're lying on? Thrift shop find for $1.50. I didn't decorate for Easter until today, not just to be liturgically correct, but because I had a ton of cleaning to do before getting out my Easter stuff.
I'm hosting Easter dinner for my family (nine people in a house without a dining room!). I like to do Easter because the meal is pretty easy: ham, asparagus, and in our family blintzes. Those are a little bit of work. Oh, and a fattening concoction called "Pineapple Marge" after my mother-in-law. It's got two sticks of butter, eight eggs, white bread and canned pineapple. A real 50s-60s kind of dish. Thanks to food blogger Renee at Second Breakfast, I learned how to fold my napkins like bunnies and got the idea for dessert: peep s'mores! Thanks, Renee, and happy Easter, everyone.


9 comments:

Lucy said...

Happy Easter, Heidi!! Love your bunnie! Their tail's are too cute! Great use of scraps! Don't feel bad about decorating late, I didn't either for the same reason! LOL I spent about 5 hours+ cleaning and rearranging before it looked Springy and Eastery here.

Hope you had a great celebration with your family.

Patsy said...

the easter bunnys are realy cute!!

lexer said...

adorable! Happy (belated) Easter!

Di said...

Love the bunnies!! They are great! Have a fantastic Easter!

Heidijayhawk said...

love the bunnies heidi! and the flowers in your previous post! how cool. how did your dinner turn out?

Rebecca said...

I love these! If you make anymore for your shop, let me know!!

VictoriaE said...

I LOVE the rabbits. I reckon you are making stuff in your own distinct style.

Cathy said...

Those bunnies are really cute! This is the first year I didn't fill Easter Baskets...2 of my kids won't eat the candy (say it ain't so!) and the other two eat it so slowly they have to be thrown out. Therefore, they got UCLA NCAA final 4 tshirts this year instead...yes, they're 19-26...guess it was time!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Heidi,these are adorable!!! Your felted scrap ornys need to go in your ETSY ! Love the peep smore idea,and thank you so much for taking the time to vote for my sis!