Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Big Apple

"A fish cannot drown in water. A bird cannot fall in the air. Gold is not dissolved in fire--for there it receives its brilliant sheen. This gift is given to everything: to live with its own nature. How could I oppose who I am? I am inclined toward God, and must go through all things in God." (13th-century mystic Mechtild of Magdeburg, cited in WomanPrayers)



I am a city girl. I love cities, including the wonderful city I live in (Chicago). But I haven't spent much time in New York. I was there as a girl in 1976, and then once when my sister lived there. My 4-day trip last week was for work but I got to see some of the city while I was there. Thanks to Manda at Tree Fall Designs, I was reminded to check out some crafty sights while I was there.


First I went to the Japanese bookstore KINOKUNIYA near Rockefeller Center and bought my very first Japanese craft book. I didn't have tons of time to browse (I was accompanied by my boss, Father John Molyneux and we had to get back for a conference workshop), but this one caught my eye because it had some nice, simple projects. Luckily, my husband speaks and reads some Japanese so maybe he can help me decipher it. The photos are lovely.


The next day I dragged another co-worker (Kevin, who quickly found a bar across the street) to the famous Purl stores in Soho--one is yarn, the other one fabric. I had restraint and only bought two pair of bamboo needles that I need to knit a sweater for this cute baby. Then I bought just one yard of the super-cute fabric to make a cover for my sewing maching, which now lives in our kitchen, so a cover would be appropriate.


On my last day, I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge (for the second time: On the first night my co-workers and I walked from Brooklyn Heights to Chinatown for dinner, then Little Italy for gellato and then all the way to the Washington Square Park) to see the Ground Zero site. While there, I saw a discount shoe place and found these adorable Sketchers. I think they're made out of the same kind of material as Crocs. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really don't like the look of Crocs. But I love these little white shoes--only $20.


Finally, maybe I can get one of you New Yorkers to do me a favor. While up by Rockefeller Center, I bought some of these cute finger puppets from a man selling them on a table on the sidewalk. He told me they were handknit by an Ecuadoran family (was that a line?) and I bought three of them for my kids. But when I got back to the hotel, the monkey one was missing. They were $1. I would gladly pay someone $10 to buy me the monkey one and mail it to me. Two finger puppets aren't enough to get a good story going, don't you think?

4 comments:

VaxGirl said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed "my" city! I don't get into the city much anymore or I would get your monkey for you. Now there's something I never thought I'd be saying. I will tell the husband to keep an eye out for knitted finger puppet monkeys though. When you walked across the bridge from Brooklyn, did you see some bland apartment buildings on your right? We lived there in 1986! Right practically on the approach to the bridge, oh the noise!

Sue said...

Looks like you had a great time! I’m sorry about the finger puppet. If I lived in or NYC, I would surely get you another one straightaway.

Rae said...

I dislike Crocs, too. DD has a pair (purple, no less), but I can't bring myself to wear a pair. I like you're though. there's something more sporty about them than rounded and dumpy. Very nice on the walk!

Rebecca said...

Hello! I'm so sad that I wasn't around when you were visiting. I work close to Rockefeller Center. With that said, I'd be happy to find you a monkey finger puppet. I've bought these before (in Chinatown) and know exactly what you mean. Drop me a line and let me know about where this vendor was located and I'll head over at lunch sometime this week. :)

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!