Saturday, May 26, 2007

Congratulaions, Kaz and Abril

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear." (1 John 4:18)


Today is the wedding of my friend Kaz. His family is like my second family, and although he and I haven't been in touch as much since he moved to Arizona, he's still kind of like the brother I never had. So I was really bummed that I couldn't make it to his wedding, to a wonderful woman named Abril, today. Still, there was a part of me there: I made the headpieces for the two flowergirls, Ariana and Aubren.

During her shower a few months ago, when the bridesmaids were trying on their dresses (her color scheme was "Pool") at David's Bridal, Abril saw these flowergirl headpieces and thought they would be cute. But when I saw the $40 price tag, I gave the crafter's cry: "I could make that myself." Never mind that I had no idea how I was going to make them, I told Abril I would.

Well, I was pretty happy with how they turned out. I used wooden embroidery hoops (5 inch, the part without the metal screw) and wrapped them in white stain ribbon, then elastic with two loops hanging out (those are for attaching them with bobby pins), then another layer of white satin ribbon, tucking in the blue silk flowers and the three dangling ribbons (made of wired ribbon, shown above rolled up and pinned to keep their shape), and finally one final wrap with some white beaded floral trim. The whole cost: Less than $10 for both of them.

I'm home from a 4-day business trip to New York, during which I found time to do some crafty shopping. I'll share pictures of that, some finished objects, and some new stuff for my etsy shop this week. Promise.




2 comments:

Lucy said...

That was sweet of you to offer to make the headpieces--can't believe the difference in price from handmade to retail! Great ideas on how to put it together.

Glad to hear you had a great trip and came home with some goodies! Looking forward to seeing some of your purchases :)

Happy Memorial Day to you and DH.

Lucy

Di said...

The headpieces look great! I am looking forward to seeing what you purchased in New York!