Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Felty wool goodness

"If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." (African proverb)

Those of you who read this blog know that I like to make things out of recycled felted wool sweaters that I buy at the thrift store. I make cool purses with vintage tie handles. I sometimes make ornaments, flower pins, or little softies. I even made a coffee cup pincushion or two.


Well, this hobby has resulted in quite a few felt scraps--three huge garbage bags full, to be exact. And new sweaters for new purses coming in every week! Plus I've heard from some of you that you have a hard time finding 100% wool sweaters in the thrift shop. (Must be harder in the South, I assume.) So I decided to share the wealth and offer packages of pre-felted wool in my etsy shop.



I spent a good chunk of Memorial Day organizing them, sorting them into color groups (Fall Colors, Brights, Blues/Greens, etc.), photographing and packaging them, and listing them in my shop. Before I even finished listing them, a nice woman from Michigan bought five bags! But there are still 16 assorted bags there, each for $6.99 plus shipping. Each contains about 6 or 7 large pieces, usually from sleeves, so about 8-14 inches by 12-20 inches, with varying textures, some cabled, some striped. If you have any special requests, just let me know. Believe it or not, even if I sell all these, I still have three laundry baskets full for myself, plus lots more sweaters to felt!

There are so many cool things you can make out of wool felt from sweaters. I'll leave you with these links to get your creative juices flowing:

My husband just brought some finished laundry into the bedroom for me to fold when he realized he accidentally threw in one of my to-be-felted sweaters and felted it. "You mean I just felted?" he said. "That's all?" If you want someone to do all the work for you, check out the shop before it's all gone.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Great idea to "share" your stash! I like to buy supplies on etsy (as you know ;).

Heidijayhawk said...

how sweet of you to put those together! on my way over to check it out now!