Friday, May 18, 2007

Girl Scout camping

"On my honor, I will try: to serve God and my country, to help people at all times, and to live by the Girl Scout Law." (Girl Scout Promise)

"I know a weenie man, he owns a weenie stand..." (Camp song)

This is a belated post of my camping fun last weekend; also a belated tribute to one of the best moms I know (in addition to my own): my sister Amy. That's her at right with the walkie talkie and whistle. Boy, did she like that whistle. But all she had to do was tweet it three times and all those Scouts would come running to the fire circle. Impressive!

In an act of pure sisterly love, I went practically straight from the oral surgeon last Friday to meet my sister for this overnight camping trip with a dozen 12-year-old girls. Call me crazy, but it was actually really fun. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and helpful all the girls were, including my niece Clare.

It was also a nostalgic trip down memory lane, as my sister and I went to weeklong Girl Scout camp with our cousins at Camp Nawakwa in Wisconsin when we were young. I also went to Brownie Day Camp, where I learned the important craft of making sit-upons out of vinyl fabric. Seriously, I do credit Scouting with encouraging me in everything from crafting to leadership. Although I don't think I would have my sons join Boy Scouting (I know there's good things about it, but I don't agree with their policy on gays), I do think Girl Scouting is wonderful.

But back to Amy. As the second child, she has always felt deprived since my mom volunteered to be my cheerleading mom and Girl Scout leader, but not hers. So I wasn't surprised that she ended up a Brownie and now Girl Scout leader for her daughter. She is a natural. She had so many cool things planned for the girls--hike, skits, learning to whittle, making a fire, Girl Scout cookie S'mores (yum!), friendship bracelets, and more. We all had camp names. Mine? Knitter, of course. Check me out trying to work on this baby sweater around the campfire!

Amy has promised that when my daughter is in Girl Scouts she will help me with her camping trip. Just wanted to get it in writing here for future.

3 comments:

VictoriaE said...

That is so CUTE!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Oh yes I have made sit upons! ...but alas never camped with my girl,I had just had my litlest on her 1st campout,and she was sick the next time. We chose to leave scouting behind,because I for one just could not keep up with all her activities and something had to go.

Pat K said...

So, another camping knitter! My Girl Scout camping experiences, unfortunately, were not particularly well run, although I did love scouting as a whole. I always knit when camping (gave up camping on the groung a number of years ago). Now it's a trailer with comfy beds.