Saturday, May 05, 2007

Surprises!

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." (The Buddha)



These photos illustrate an important thrifting principle: Always look inside. Even though I have way too many Christmas tins, I always check them out at thrift stores because I give cookies and homemade toffee every year as gifts and can't pass up a cute one that's the right size. When I opened up this cute penguin tin, inside were two brand new, full-size bath products: Kiwi scrub and kiwi butter. The price: 75 cents.

Speaking of surprises, I got a super sweet one yesterday from my Spring Fling swapper Nancy at Imaginary Fronds. Even though I begged her not to go overboard, she truly did. We were on the same wavelength with the pink and green containers and ribbon from Michaels, but she added so many wonderful things. Here's how the S-P-R-I-N-G was worked:

S - craft Supply tins
P - Pink and green paper
R - Ribbons and rick rack
I - Ink pads and rubber stamps
N - vintage linen Napkins
G - KnittinG Green and pink needle roll

She also threw in some embroidery floss and the most adorable buttons. I would have a hard time saying what's my favorite (Did you know how much I need more colors of stamp pads? Those pink napkins match my Easter set wonderfully. And I love, love, love the fuzzy rick rack).

But hands-down my absolute favorite is the handmade needle roll. Obviously Mizfixit took note that I am a knitter. Can you believe I don't have one of these for storing my needles? And not only are the fabric choices adorable, the sewing beautiful, but check out that hand emboidery on the edge!

Once again, I am humbled and awed by the generosity of total stranger met through cyberspace. Thank you so much Nancy for making my day!

P.S. Buddha quote because we're seeing the Dalai Lama tomorrow in Grant Park.

6 comments:

pei girl said...

what a great idea about the tins I would never had thought of it thanks again, love the pictures of the lake have an awesome day :0)

Lucy said...

Awesome surprise with the bath goodies in the tin! I really love the knitting needle case, and so glad you enjoyed the swap :)
lucy

Bee said...

Very nice swap goodies (sent and received) I love that you both must have liked those tins!

Rebecca said...

What a fabulous swap package! And I can't believe I never thought of INK as a possible "I" item! :)

Sue said...

What a great package, Heidi! It’s so much fun to receive these swap packages. What a great surprise to find the products in the tin. I love tins – probably too much.

Paula said...

What a fun swap that was. I received a great package also. I love that needle roll!