Monday, June 25, 2007

Book lover

"The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them." (19th century British author Samuel Butler, whom we didn't mean to name our son after)



I could have called this post "Messy corners of my home." This is our (ahem) "study" aka the future nursery. One wall is solid bookshelves (Ikea's Billy) filled with books. I'd say 90 percent of them are mine, although Ed is adding to our collection more and more. When we moved in here, he almost died as he watched the movers carry up box after box labled "Nonfiction M-P" or "Fiction A-C." I have sinced mixed fiction and nonfiction, but still have everything shelved alphabetically by author (except for knitting books and reference, which are separate).



Anyway, as I mentioned this is going to be our future nursery. See the unassembled crib that hs been there for over a year? We can bring ourselves to set it up yet. But I did take a chance two weekends ago and let myself buy something for the kiddos: books, of course. My friends Kristin and John and their baby Lincoln and I went to the very cool Printers' Row Book Fair, and we hit the used children's book tents with a vengance. To see what new books I got, visit our adoption blog.





But I thought I'd share this oldie-but-goodie that I also picked up. My sister and I had The Bumper Book growing up, and I actually called her from the fair to see if we still had it. She didn't think so, and she thought for $16 it was worth getting. (She was right: Two are listed on Amazon for $57 and $81.) It's in great shape and contains all the stories I remember: "Wynken, Blynken and Nod," "The Wee Kitten Who Sucked Her Thumb," "We Won't Tell," "Animal Crackers," "The Owl and the Pussy Cat," and "The Ginham Dog and the Calico Cat." It was published in the 60s. Does anyone else remember it?






11 comments:

Heidijayhawk said...

that was one of my favorite books as a child. i would have absolutely paid 16 for it! probably more! what a sweet addition for your sweet ones to come home to!

mushroommeadows said...

no...I've never heard of it, but the cover artwork is adorable.

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh my, Jack would have a field day with all those books. He would certainly think he was at the "wibarie."

I tend to get rid of my own books after I have read them now, but the children's books are in every nook and cranny of our house.

VaxGirl said...

haha! I have just counted 7 Billy bookcases in my house including the one in the dining room with the glass doors that holds my Fiestaware collection! One time the Amazing Race went to Sweden and the task was to assemble an Ikea Desk; I think we could have done it with our eyes closed!

Lucy said...

Wow-you do have a ton of books! I haven't heard of the one you mentioned but like mushroommeadows said, the artwork is precious!

Connie said...

In the 60's I was in high school but I remember some of the rhymes from the book. Gosh, if I still had all the books that once belonged to me I too would have a library but alas I kept only a few and that's all I have. God is going to bless you with your baby...keep faith! Hugs.

Mary Belle said...

I remember the Bumper Book. Please bring it when you come. I would like to look at it again.

Love, Mom

Kathleen said...

My sister and I had a different book - The Tall Book of Tall Tales with The Gingham Dog and Calico Cat were in that one, too, because Sis used that as her 'recitation' in sixth grade in 1969! :)

By the looks of your find, our books were similar in nature if not content. When I had children, I tracked down a copy of the Tall Book for my family! I hope you enjoy sharing the Bumper Book with yours. (good luck with the adoptions!!)

Kathleen said...

boy was that a grammatical mess!

... The Tall Book of Tall Tales. The Gingham Dog and Calico Cat was in that one, too, ...

catieann said...

heidi
i love all your books before our fire we had bookcases filled with our medical books, our aunts old nursing books and tons of old children's books.

it was so sad to say good bye to them.

catieann said...

i don't know that book but i had to memorize and recite The gingham dog and calico cat' for fifth grade english. then my teacher convinced me to recite if for the school talent show. I got a blue ribbon and still remember every word of it.
catie