Monday, June 04, 2007

Top 10 reasons I love Michigan

"A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in." (Magician and writer Robert Orben)


Ed and I just got back from a four-day vacation to Michigan for my birthday. It was great. Here are the top 10 reasons I love Michigan:

10. Rain was forecast every day, but it didn't rain until our drive home. Beautiful drive on the way up. So many trees!

9. Wonderful B&B in Arcadia. Enjoyed the jacuzzi, the nearby beach (above), the tasty breakfasts, and especially the one-hour massage.

8. Going the weekend before tourist season. No crowds at the Frankfort Lighthouse (above).

7. Friday night fish fry near Frankfort.


6. Getting lost on the way to Mackinac Island. Stopping at garage sale for directions. Buying a toy for Sam.

5. The sweet smell of lilacs on Mackinac Island.

4. A surprise birthday gift from my sister: a gift certificate for dinner on the island.



3. Glorious sunset seen from the ferry ride home. View of the bridge from our cheap hotel in Mackinac City.

2. Pink and green buttons from a little antique place in Holland on the way home.







And the #1 reason I love Michigan: The officer who pulled me over for going 72 in a 55 mph zone, who after taking my license and proof of insurance back to his car (I didn't even have my registration) noticed that it was my birthday and told me, "No tickets on your birthday." I started crying. And then let Ed drive.

I also did a bunch of knitting so will post some new FOs and WIPs this week. Thanks, honey, for a great getaway weekend. I needed it!

8 comments:

Lucy said...

Happy Birthday!! I wish I had known!! But it looks like you had a most awesome celebration with your honey and all the nice gift from your family. Thank goodness for policemen with hearts!!

Happy Birthday, Heidi...and best wishes for a wonderful year ahead.

lucy

Renee said...

Oh, you are making me homesick for my beautiful home state. Glad you had such a fun trip, and Happy Birthday Heidi! Renee

linda t said...

Happy Birthday Heidi!
Such a great get-away! I want to go there now!
And that last story is precious!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I thought you were supposed to cry before the cop gets to your car, not after he leaves?!?!?!

Love you, Heidi. Many belated happy birthday wishes.

xo Kristi

Heidijayhawk said...

oh heidi! that sounds like an absolutely fabulous weekend!

janelle said...

how funny we have another connection beside wissahickon. . . i love michigan! it is mostly my home state. . i have a lot of family there, have lived there several times, have vacationed 'up north'. love mackinac. sounds like a great trip!

Lynne said...

Happy , Happy Birthday, Heidi! You have summed up why we love Michigan so well! I can't wait to get there next month for my one week getaway in Holland and Macatawa! What antique store did you visit in Holland?

flanthrower said...

Oh I haven't been on here in a while so this is really late, but Happy Birthday Heidi!

Your pictures are lovely.