Thursday, June 21, 2007

WIP

"When you become quiet, it just dawns on you." (Thomas Edison)

I've noticed, while reading my hundred-some blogs through Bloglines (if you don't use bloglines to read your blogs, you really should try it. It's free and makes it so much easier). Anyway, I've noticed that most craft bloggers post during the week and then take the weekends off to be with their families, etc. I'm the exact opposite: My job is super-demanding these days and by the time I get home (8:30 p.m last night) I'm too tired to do much more than read about others' creative exploits. But I'm off on Fridays during the summer so use this day to catch up on everything and do some crafty stuff.

So I'm playing catch-up here. These photos are from last weekend's trip to Philadelphia. I had a writer's workshop for a magazine that I do some freelancing for there so my husband decided to come along and visit his parents. We spent a lot of time in the relaxing back yard (photo above).



I got quite a bit of knitting done there on this sweater I started while in Michigan. It's for my niece Elena. My sister-in-law picked the "Rosebud Cardigan" pattern from Simple Knits for Chrerished Babies, which wouldn't you know requires fine yarn and size 1 or 2 needles (I'm using 3's to get gauge). She picked out this wool sock yarn in a green, brown, and orange colorway, which is definiltely very nontraditional for a baby but it's growing on me. It's a German yarn called "Trekking Pro Natura." We got it at The Knit With, the yarn shop in Chestnut Hill near my in-law's house. I thought it would take forever (and it will!) but it's coming along. I finished the back over the weekend and have moved on to the front.

I'm also working on a baby blanket in pink. It may be for Sophie, or for whoever has a girl next. Seems like everyone is pregnant again (except me, of course), some on their second, third, or fourth child. I'm trying to be patient but we're not hearing anything positive from Vietnam. Not hearing much of anything, to be honest.

Still, I'm trying to enjoy what I really hope is my last summer without children. We went to Millennium Park on Wednesday night with friends Kristin, Jon and Lincoln. Tonight we're going to see a friend of Ed's who is performing at Starbuck's (singing and guitar). May meet up with friends Lourdes and Jason, too. Sunday is my sister's kids' "Rock U" performance. Can't wait to hear my nephew singing Bon Jovi.

Happy Solstice, to those of you who celebrate such things.

5 comments:

Heidijayhawk said...

what a lovely post and i LOVE the color you are using for that sweater! awesome! i use google reader and like it quite a bit.

Lucy said...

I save a lot of time using blog lines now as well. Only--hmmm--I keep adding to my list and well, I'm always playing catch up!

You DH's parents garden/backyard is so luscious looking, no wonder you spent a lot of time there visiting.

I hope it's your last summer without the kidlets, too. I can't think of anyone who deserves children more than you and your hubby.

hugs,
lucy

Connie said...

Heidi, The yard with the bench looks so peaceful. I used my little bag which you gifted me in your drawing when I went shopping today. I tucked my lists, my ads, and anything I might need inside and took it along. Thanks again for it, I love it. Connie

Di said...

I know what you mean - I don't usually post on the weekend - too busy out there!! I do try to catch up on blogging during the week!

All your knitting looks great and usual and I am praying for your babies to arrive soon!

Sue said...

I need a tutorial on the bloglines thing. Seriously. I’m signed up, but I can’t seem to get it to work (which is pure operator error, of course!). It seems like I tend to catch up on my blog reading/posting on the weekend, too. Sometimes the week is just too crazy!

The bench and garden area looks so serene. Know that I am praying for you and your husband … pax et caritas.