Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Baby hats

"Begin to weave, and God will give you the thread." (German proverb)



I've been doing some knitting the past few weeks. Working on this sweater (and making good progress). I also knit up three little baby hats for some new babies. And I used this opportunity to try a few new variations on the basic, solid-color hat that I usually knit. First, I knit the little boy hat for my neighbor's new son named Constantine (yup, Greek). This time I knit a navy blue stripe in it, although in retrospect, I think it should have gone a bit higher on the hat.

(Yes, those hats are sitting on a Notre Dame blanket--I keep it in my office because the AC is so darn cold. And yes, though I'm not a yahoo, I am a Domer.)

Then I knit two smaller hats for a friend who just adopted two newborn twins (domestically). For them, I added two little pink flowers using this pattern. I also experimented with the decrease, using Yarn Harlot's suggestion of decreasing every 8, 7, 6, etc, until you K2tog. I like how it makes a spiral (unlike my mom's pattern that says decrease every 8, knit a row, then every 7, knit a row, etc.) It's not a great photo, but you can see the spiral. It also makes for a less cone-head type hat.





While knitting I've caught several good movies IFC. I love IFC. I can recommend: Tao of Steve, a romantic comedy, and Igby Goes Down, a coming of age film. Both are funny, and quirky, and either heartwarming or moving at the same time.

1 comment:

Heidijayhawk said...

those are some awesome hats! i love the pink and white. oh so sweet!