Thursday, July 05, 2007

Bias tape bib

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west." (Isaiah 43:5)

I finally decided to try sewing something besides a purse. I saw bibs on someone's website (can't remember whose) and they linked to this pattern. It looked easy enough, so I got out these remnants of kids' decorator fabrics I had gotten at the thrift store (for 40 cents) and found some matching blue bias tape in my stash. Then I remembered that some of my sister's kids' bibs had terrycloth on the back, so I cut out some from a matching towel.

But then when I went to sew it, after just pinning the bias tape and top stitching it, it looked awful! The bias tape was all uneven, and in the back, I didn't even catch it. So I took it all off, read a bit on the web about sewing with bias tape and started over. I sewed it on the back first, then folded it over and topstitched the top. It was better, but still looked bunchy in some corners (see above).

Anyone have any advice? I suspect it would be easier if I didn't have that heavy terrycloth in there. The bias tape on the pocket looks great, but then that is only one layer and there are no curves there. I would like to make some more of these, but they look too crappy like this. (I put a heavy duty snap on it, but that's also having a hard time holding through all the layers. Maybe velcro?)

Slightly good news on the adoption front: Our Vietnam agency made their first referral. That means nothing for us, except that one person ahead of us is no longer waiting. And of course we're happy for them! I may be neededing bibs sometimes soon.

5 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Eh, I never do the sew back on first method. However, I don't really have a good answer for you. I generally use the widest tape I can and sew VERY VERY VERY slowly. When I first started using tape though, I had to do a lot of seam ripping.

Sometimes I think people use bias tape for those patterns in the name of making it "so easy," but the reality is that it might be easier to just sew the fabric to the terry cloth and leave the tape out except for that trim piece on the front.

(Having said all of that I think my tone sounds crabby and I wish I could say it to you in person! LOL

Heidijayhawk said...

i'm with sarah. i rarely use bias tape unless its needed and then i sew at a snail's pace. let me know if you find a better way! and i think the bib looks just fine for a super lucky babe.

Heidi said...

I had the same problem with the tape when I was making some smocks for Maren. I finally used the double wide stuff and that was much easier, but I like the look of the narrow stuff much better. If you find any magic method, please share!

Lucy said...

My only advice is practice..LOL...that's what I tell my DS whenever he is discouraged about something he has tried(((says she who does not sew but is willing to give advice))). I think it looks adorable and quite nice for your first bib.

Sarah said...

I used bias tape on a similar bib recently that had some thick cotton sherpa in it - the trick is to IRON the bias tape in place, even though it's a total pain, because it'll make it curve correctly. then you can just pin it and sew it. It's not perfect still (maybe because I'm not very patient) but it works pretty well.

See bib here.