Friday, July 27, 2007

Rip it, rip it

"Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites your body to your thoughts. Whenever your mind becomes scattered, use your breath as the means to take hold of your mind again." (Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, The Miracle of Mindfulness)


It took me a long time to figure out why some people called ripping out knitting "frogging." (See title above.) My mom calls it "tink"ing (knit spelled backwards. Get it?) Whatever you call it, I'm doing more of it than ever before in this project, a sweater for my niece. My sister-in-law bought such nice yarn, I want the sweater to be perfect. So I've torn out rows to fix boo-boos I would otherwise leave in.

And now I'm frogging two whole sleeves! When I went to make Sleeve #2, I realized that I hadn't cast enough stitches on intially (I did the number for the smaller size.) But my mom helped me decide that maybe if I blocked the first one to be a bit bigger, and made sure the second one was the same length as the first, I could get by. "As long as it fits the raglan," my mom said, and that bugged me until I got halfway through the second sleeve and realized it won't. So I ripped out that sleeve, and I will have to redo the first one as well. I guess this is why knitting teaches patience...

Since this is a blog of my creative pursuits, I thought I'd show what my dad, my husband, my brother-in-law and I made a few weeks ago: a path in the woods along the lake at my parents. So that we wouldn't have to carry all those big paver stones down the stairs to the lake, we loaded them onto the pontoon boat over at the boat launch, then boated them over to our dock and unloaded them. Then we laid them, making sure they're level, and filled in with stone. This was a big project my parents needed help with and we were happy to do it. We enjoy so many nice weekends at the lake there. I'm a hard-core city girl, but I love having a place to get away from the city, too.

3 comments:

Heidijayhawk said...

i personally think its called frogging because the word sounds like another f word that i generally use while ripping things out!

Mary Belle said...

That is one great path. Used it several times last night carrying the party stuff to and from the pontoon boat from the boathouse. The party went great, the weather beautiful. Thanks again. Love, Mom

Di said...

It took me a while to work out the frogging thing too!! I love the yarn though and can understand the need for it to be perfect!

The footpath disappearing into the woods is lovely!