Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Summer lovin'

"What do I do now? / I listen to water / Falling / Into / the / Gentleness / Of being / Nothing / More / Than liquid sound. / And I, at last, / Want nothing / More." (W. Paul Jones, A Table in the Desert)

I wish I could say my summer has been as relaxing as that poem, but unfortunately the price I pay for "summer hours" (every Friday off) is excruciatingly long Mondays through Thursdays. Still, it's been nice to get away on Fridays. This past weekend we were at my parents' lake house in Wisconsin. We relaxed, took a pontoon boat ride, visited some garage sales, and took a ride in my dad's 1971 Volkswagon Beetle to the custard stand. Ah, summer!

Speaking of summer, I sent off my Sweet Goodness Summer Fun swap package last week, and hopefully by now Sarah should have received it. Have you, Sarah? The theme was orange and yellow, and we were supposed to do something special with the container. Here's a peek at mine. There were lots of goodies inside, including some for her son Jack. My handmade item was knit and definitely summery, but I forgot to take a picture of it, so I will have to refer to you to Sarah when she photographs her swap stuff.

The weekend before last Ed and I went out to the suburbs to take our Uzbeck friends swimming. Last year we were matched with a refugee family though World Relief and have fallen in love with this family of six (seven if you count Grandma). They used to live just a block from us, but now have moved to Wheaton. The four girls--Ruiza, Farida, Albina, and Songul--all went swimming with us at my sister's neighborhood pool in Aurora one Friday afternoon. Only one knew how to swim, so it was quite a crazy afternoon. This family is ethnically Turkish and their people are persecuted in Russia, where they lived before moving here. We have been inspired by how hard-working, friendly, generous and sweet this family has been. We really miss seeing them more regularly, but now that we have a car, we try to get out once a month or so. Thanks to my sister for preparing a nice lunch for them and helping me with them at the pool.







5 comments:

Heidijayhawk said...

i'm really digging the orange lately. can summer be winding down already? how did that happen?

Rebecca said...

I love the yellow tote! And I can't wait to see what you knit. :)

That's wonderful that you still get to see your friends. I can imagine swimming was a blast!

Sue said...

I saw someone had an autumnal flag up on their porch one day last week on my drive to work. Noooo! I do love the fall though ...

Your package looks incredible. lucky Sarah. :-)

Di said...

Having a Friday off sounds like a great idea!! Swimming looked like fun and the whole family match idea sounds fabulous!

Lynne said...

That looks like a great swap package! Heidi...would you ever consider being a part of my Special Swap? We'd love to have you join us! Some good thrifting stuff going on at your place, too! Today, it's Friday at work, and I only wish I could have the day off....Slllloooooowwwwww day. I'd rather be home knitting and sewing!