Sunday, August 05, 2007

"D" is for dorky

"Let us rise and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful." (The Buddha)

"D" is for dorky. I don't know if it's because I'm Midwestern or just because I come from a very gung-ho family, but we Schlumpfs like to do a lot of things that others might consider kind of dorky. And we are total die-hards, too. Like how many people would have their entire family sleep overnight in the gutter just to get good seats at the Rose Bowl Parade? The Schlumpfs did!

And everything has to become a total tradition. Like State Fair. Even though it was cloudy and humid, I dragged Ed to the Wisconsin State Fair today. But we had a blast! We went through all the animal barns (that's me with the cows--I love cows) in the top photo and did all the fun things on my sister's list. That's Ed at one of the shops. Despite his roll-your-eyes East Coast demeanor, he can be kind of dorky too.










Memories (left) of entering my pet rabbit Hoppy in the State Fair some 25-30 years ago. I remember he got 7th place (out of 9). And the requisite cream puff. Oh, my God, that was huge and rich! We had roasted corn for dinner, and yes, maple root beer.

Craft content: We toured the craft and food entries. These quilts were pretty. Some really nice knitting, though nothing that exceptional that I took a photo. We left just as the rain started and didn't hit any traffic on the way home. We had a really nice, relaxing time at my parents' house while they were gone. Even though the weather was yucky, we were relaxed and enjoyed having nature around us.

2 comments:

Heidijayhawk said...

maybe its the name heidi. i am pretty dorky too! it must be a prerequisite if your named heidi and from the midwest to be dorky or a little quirky at best!

Sue said...

I'm so glad you had a great time at the State Fair, Heidi! Thanks for showing us around some of the barns and such. :-)

I love your tribute to your husband and father. Te Deus laudemus.