Monday, August 06, 2007

"E" is for Ed (squared)

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction." (Antoine Saint-Exupery)




















The two most important men in my life are both named Ed. My father is Edward and my husband is Edmund. Still, quite a coincidence, don't you think? In some ways, they are similar: my dad was a high school history, geography, and journalism teacher and coach, and my husband is studying to become a high school history teacher and coach. And they are both very loving men who care a lot about their family, friends, and the world. But they are very different too. For example, my dad is a Brewer's fan and my husband is a Phillies fan. This was an issue this past weekend when the two teams were playing each other.

What I admire about my dad, and what I hope I have learned from him, is his integrity, commitment, and passion. My dad never does anything half-way, and his faith has inspired him to do plenty of things outside his comfort zone. And he always tries to do what is right. "Dare to be different," he used to counsel me when I was a teenager, and I thought he was so unhip. Of course, I ended up rather different, maybe not always in ways he would have wanted, but I did dare to be myself, and I learned that from him. My dad also can be stubborn, and unfortunately I learned that from him too! But in our older age (mine and his!) I think we have gotten along better than we ever have and have really learned to respect each other, and for that I am very grateful.

My husband is the perfect man for me. He is the ying to my yang, or vice versa, I can't remember. His laid-back personality is a wonderful complement to my high-strung one. He is intelligent, thoughtful, and very well-read. And he is extremely funny. He is a great partner, and he will make a wonderful father. I have never known a man to try so hard to love me and to generally do the right thing in life. Well, except for Ed Number One. I am so lucky to have found him, even if it did take me way too long.

P.S. Happy anniversary, Amy and Andrew!

3 comments:

Heidijayhawk said...

what a very sweet post!! and what an awesome dad and hubby!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi:

I'ts "yin," not "ying." Feel free to delete this comment :)

Amy

P.S. Can't wait to catch up. The getaway was awesome!

Rebecca said...

What a lovely post! Both Ed's sound amazing. :)

Oh and I love the tags you made of your new logo! I need a logo. :) I am quite jealous of yours!