Friday, August 10, 2007

"G" is for Gemini

"Fear destroys 'the winged life.' But how to exorcise it? It can only be exorcised by its opposite, love. When the heart is flooded with love there is no room in it for fear, for doubt, for hesitation." (Gift From the Sea)

I don't put a whole lot of stock in horiscopes, to be honest. I don't read them in the newspaper or magazines. But I do know that I'm a Gemini, because I was born in early June. (This vintage dish towel is from 1964, the year of my birth.) I was going to make a bag out of this towel for Barb's Purse Project, but I never did. Maybe someday...

I thought I'd share some more of my vintage dish towel collection, all recently acquired from the thrift shop for less than $1 apiece. Lots of them are regional. One has the Australian Wattle,a bird, on it. Another has Lighthouses of the West Coast.

From Wikipedia: Gemini is the third sign of the Zodiac and associated with youth and versatility. Individuals born under this sign are thought to have a sociable, fun-loving, versatile, lively, communicative, liberal, mentally active and friendly character. The Gemini person is logical, inquisitive, clever, whimsical, nimble, quick-witted, articulate, lively, active, curious, capable of multi-tasking, talkative, sociable and mercurial; but they are also prone to moodiness, inconsistency, superficiality, restlessness, and be scattered, dual or two-faced, inconstant and gossipy.
Even though I think it has nothing to do with the time of year that I was born, it is true that I have a very "Gemini-y" personality, in that I have twin personalities: there is a very serious side to me. I am a tough boss, who has high expectations for myself and for people who work with me. I have very strong opinions about a lot of things, not the least of all my feminist beliefs, my religious beliefs, and my feminist religious beliefs.


On the other hand, there is another side of me that loves domesticity, especially creative things like knitting and sewing. (I'm not that much of a cook, though, and only clean because I like a clean house.) People who know me professionally are always surprised at this other side of me, but I don't think it's all that schizophrenic.

I think most people are a little like that: we have different sides to ourselves and can't be categorized as simply one thing. But maybe Geminis are just a little more so. This mod 60s-looking towel has to be my favorite, though I also like the traditionally stitched red pitcher one, too. See, my split personality even pertains to my taste in vintage dish towels! Anybody else collect these?


2 comments:

Lucy said...

I love the 60 ish vintage towel, I think that one would look awesome as an apron!

I do think a lot of us have a split personality, whether we are Gemini's or not--I know I am a lot different at work than I am at home, maybe it's because we need balance in our life to keep us grounded?

lucy

VictoriaE said...

I collect them, many many. Your selection in this post is very nice. I am impressed with your professional life and how it coexists with your crafty life - I like the contrast and connections.